Leicester Diabetes Centre awarded International Centre of Excellence award

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I remember at work saying that phrase when leaving the office for some reason, I only waited a few minutes before returning to find that my colleagues were googling trying to find out who said it.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I sent them an e-mail but didn't even get a response.

What a shame. I'm assuming that was to Derby/Nottingham, as opposed to Leicester? The trial is being run through Nottingham, I believe.

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What a shame. I'm assuming that was to Derby/Nottingham, as opposed to Leicester? The trial is being run through Nottingham, I believe.
I would have been going to Leicester. I am quite disappointed really.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would have been going to Leicester. I am quite disappointed really.

Interesting, but that really surprises me. Did you email someone specific, or a general contact email address for the trial? I appreciate this is a bit personal, so if a PM would suit you better, feel free.

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting, but that really surprises me. Did you email someone specific, or a general contact email address for the trial? I appreciate this is a bit personal, so if a PM would suit you better, feel free.
The last paragraph of the covering letter says:- If you have an questions or would like to discuss the study, please contact the Embedding Diabetes Education study team on 0116 258 4023 or by email [email protected] I phoned (no answer) then sent the email.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The last paragraph of the covering letter says:- If you have an questions or would like to discuss the study, please contact the Embedding Diabetes Education study team on 0116 258 4023 or by email [email protected] I phoned (no answer) then sent the email.

Thanks for that @carol43

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for that @carol43
Got a reply to my e-mail this morning, they don't want me, shame.

Apologies for the delay in response, our Trial Manager for this study has recently left so we are trying hard to cover all work.

Thank you so much for returning your pack - the information that you provided about diabetes education has been entered onto the study database and is included in our findings. As for the expression of interest form you returned for potential interviews and observations, fortunately we had a much greater response to this element of the study than originally expected, therefore the ethnographic team carrying out this work have completed all of the interviews they require. So apologies on this occasion we won't be contacting you about this. However thank you for raising this important issue with us as we need to include sending a thank you and confirmation of completion to everyone who expressed an interest.

If you have any further questions about the study please do not hesitate to contact me - I have also copied in my NHS email as I have more regular access to this.

Once again, many thanks for taking part in the embedding study.

Best wishes

Edited to remove non-member, personal information

Last edited by a moderator:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Got a reply to my e-mail this morning, they don't want me, shame.

Apologies for the delay in response, our Trial Manager for this study has recently left so we are trying hard to cover all work.

Thank you so much for returning your pack - the information that you provided about diabetes education has been entered onto the study database and is included in our findings. As for the expression of interest form you returned for potential interviews and observations, fortunately we had a much greater response to this element of the study than originally expected, therefore the ethnographic team carrying out this work have completed all of the interviews they require. So apologies on this occasion we won't be contacting you about this. However thank you for raising this important issue with us as we need to include sending a thank you and confirmation of completion to everyone who expressed an interest.

If you have any further questions about the study please do not hesitate to contact me - I have also copied in my NHS email as I have more regular access to this.

Once again, many thanks for taking part in the embedding study.

Best wishes

Edited to remove non-member, personal information

Carol - They are an extremely welcoming bunch at Leicester. I'm sure if you ever fancied a look around or to be included in any of the patient feedback groups, they would be extremely happy and accommodating.

The foregoing reflects my own findings of their attitude and approach-ability.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done, Leicester. However, having no knowledge of the ethos, practices, research or educative stances of the team involved I am at a loss as to whether congratulations are in order. Anyone have any opinions on what the team promotes/has found at all?
They seem to have found the obvious. I.E. Diabetes is costing healh services a shedload of money to treat, and it is not limited to any particular country. Wowee. Pat on the back time. I am not aware of any research studies or papers that are attributable to Leicester, and the team members mentioned do not appear on my radar.

I had to dig deep but did find this nugget to chew on
https://www2.le.ac.uk/offices/press...tes-pill-2018improves-blood-sugar-control2019

You can do an online MSc in diabetes, and distance learning modules to find out what diabetes is, but this team seems to be very, very academic and not too interested in doing blue sky research. Unlike Newcastle or Cambridge or Frimley. This is an academic pat on the back only.

This is what Prof K is doing:
https://www.diabetes.org.uk/diabete...programme/speaker-biographies/kamlesh-khunti1

I note the following citation for him, which takes my interest level down a peg or two
>>>>He is past Chair of the Department of Health–RCGP Committee on Classification of Diabetes and past Chair of the NICE Guidelines on Prevention of Diabetes.<<<<<<<

Last edited: