Lemsip

Lainey61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Swearing and drunken people
I have a cold and had a Lemsip last night and was wondering if it is safe to use as it contains Asparatame. Does anyone know please?

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No it also contains Sucrose and it is likely to raise your Blood Sugar.

I usually have the Lemsip capsules and they seem to be ok.

I would usually have hot drinks as well such as Lemon and Ginger tea or just hot juice to help with the cold as well.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's a matter of opinion about aspartame, I don't worry about it and many don't, but just as many don't like it. I use lemsip when I have a cold, I find them comforting and they don't really affect my BS, although you may find that being ill affects your BS anyway, I have found this link for you and an extract of what it says so you can decide for yourself (my bold):)

http://www.medicines.org.uk/emcmobile/medicine/23353/spc

Use with caution in patients with hypertension, heart disease, diabetes, hyperthyroidism, hyperexcitability, phaeochromocytoma, prostatic enlargement or close angle glaucoma. Each sachet contains approximately 2.1 g of carbohydrate. Care is advised in the administration of paracetamol to patients with severe renal or severe hepatic impairment. The hazard of overdose is greater in those with non-cirrhotic alcoholic liver disease. Patients should be advised not to take other paracetamol-containing products concurrently.

Lainey61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
It's a matter of opinion about aspartame, I don't worry about it and many don't, but just as many don't like it. I use lemsip when I have a cold, I find them comforting and they don't really affect my BS, although you may find that being ill affects your BS anyway, I have found this link for you and an extract of what it says so you can decide for yourself (my bold):)

http://www.medicines.org.uk/emcmobile/medicine/23353/spc

Use with caution in patients with hypertension, heart disease, diabetes, hyperthyroidism, hyperexcitability, phaeochromocytoma, prostatic enlargement or close angle glaucoma. Each sachet contains approximately 2.1 g of carbohydrate. Care is advised in the administration of paracetamol to patients with severe renal or severe hepatic impairment. The hazard of overdose is greater in those with non-cirrhotic alcoholic liver disease. Patients should be advised not to take other paracetamol-containing products concurrently.
Thank you so much for coming back to me and for the link. Fabulous weight loss, you must be so proud of yourself.

Lainey61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
No it also contains Sucrose and it is likely to raise your Blood Sugar.

I usually have the Lemsip capsules and they seem to be ok.

I would usually have hot drinks as well such as Lemon and Ginger tea or just hot juice to help with the cold as well.
Thank you for coming back to me. I bought some capsules today at a pharmacy on the recommendation of the pharmacist.

Reactions: 2 people