Let's give this diet a whirl then...

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
Never thought I would be actively pursuing this low carb diet milarky, despite my "relatively low" daily intake of carb. Some of you regulars may also be a bit surprised to see what follows :wink:.

Received a letter from the NHS Exceptional Funding Panel who considered my recent application to have glucose sensors full-time. Basically a BIG FAT NO, passing the buck to another portion of the NHS, and I really don't have time (or the inclination as it turns out) to lobby the necessary people for an indeterminable period, I just want my life back before something else goes wrong. They don't think I'm worth it but I do, so the next thing to try is cut back DRASTICALLY on the carbs and see what happens to my blood numbers, not forgetting my complications.

I'm still at the research phase so don't know exactly when this magical transformation will take place, but I just wanted to get this off my chest because I am really effing irritated that the blasted NHS are not prepared to improve my quality of life. Don't get me wrong, I have a wonderful diabetic healthcare team, but they are bound by the rules which are just ridiculous in themselves and serve nobody or nothing, except to save money. Get rid of the b****y management consultants!

At least I'm prepared to do something :D. Henceforth I will be found in the low carb diet forum, clearing out my cupboards and trying to find replacements for the foods I'd always eat in moderation only.

And breath...

sixfoot

Kegstore . Give it minimum of 3weeks.

That seems to be the time it usually takes for the body to switch. For me i dumped 3.5st in 10 months, I would not call myself a natural Veg eater but probably eat more now than i ever did. The best bit i eat more good stuff but less of it if you follow me.

You strike me as someone who knows their own mind and will draw their own conclusions so i shall simply wish you well.
Dave P

kegstore

Dislikes
Thanks for your advice and support guys. Fortunately, weight loss is not a concern for me at all, as my BMI is 24 and always has been thereabouts, I'm trying it purely for "the blood numbers" and mitigation of any further complications. But have no doubt I'll be constantly asking all sorts of irritating questions :D. He he he

I have to agree that poor shoes are inexcusable IMHO :wink:

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My taste in shoes is impeccable (so says the Mrs. who studied under Imelda Marcos, so she should know).
It's my taste in acolytes that needs a bit of work :lol:
Kegstore, welcome to the Dark Side. The Force is strong with you.

fergus

increasingly cynical

Hi Fergus (the male Imelda Marcos),

Do you measure your ketones also? My most recent consultant (who actually seems quite bright!) is in favour of a low carb diet, but suggested that I start to measure my ketones since my standard diet doesn't consist of a lot anyway (max 14g of carbs and max 2g of sugar in any one meal). Having done so with Ketostix I am a bit down about this... the mechanism behind the following is clear (when the body thinks it is starving it burns fat) but it does give a bit of a catch 22:

My BGs run currently between 11.9 to 32 or so. (The consultant is planning an insulin regime but not for another month or so, whilst they check for Pheochromacytoma). When I am 'pleased' with the effect of low-carbing (BGs go down to around 14 average) I find that my ketones (now that I measure them!!) go up to 8 mmol/l (+++ on ketostix). This is not good. If I let my BS rise (to about 18-20) ketones go down to zero or max 0.5 mml/l (trace/+/- on ketostix)

Strikes me that this may in fact be a lose/lose scenario!??

viv1969

Glad to hear it Kegstore.
My numbers have improved incredibly since drastically reducing my intake of carbs.
AS sixfoot said, give it a few weeks.
I REALLY hope you see a positive difference. It's amazing what a boost it is to see those numbers drop.

Keep us informed on the progress ok?

increasingly cynical

Haven't had a reply to the 'ketones catch 22' issue I raised on this thread - anyone measure their ketones as well as BG when dieting/low carbing? If so, do you find the same 'lose lose' scenario I do?

:?

kegstore

Dislikes
I must admit to not being previously aware of ketones presenting in anything other than a "prelude to DKA" scenario, so I hope someone else can respond to this query. Just shows you can learn something new every day.

BTW Going back to the OP I am currently on around 70g of carbs a day, and haven't noticed any significant difference in my bg numbers, 6.1 is still the average. No other discernible differences either. But I am extremely impatient...

lozzark

Ketones are produced as a by-product when fat is used as energy. Significant amounts are produced naturally after a couple of days of starvation.
I've seen claims that 100g and 130g of carbs/day are needed to complete the burning of ketones.
Low levels of ketones are not harmful, and can be used by the brain for energy (although it needs some glucose always).
Diabetic ketoacidosis occurs when there is little or no circulating insulin in the blood, any glucose in the blood is unusable and fat is used as the primary energy source. I think, but am not sure, that it is the rapid excess arrival of ketone bodies in the blood that causes the problem.

kegstore

Dislikes
Almost forgot about this thread I started, so, a progress report follows:

Still waiting for something radical to happen to my numbers, no discernible difference whatsoever after almost a month, apart from a couple of dreadful hypos which I haven't had in a while. And so we continue... :|

(The Exceptional Funding panel meet in 10 days time to consider my appeal to their ridiculous decision, sending them good thoughts and positive vibes in this regard :eek:)