Letter for airport security

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Letter done and ready to collect from GP ....will check details are correct when he gets it.......they have charged £25 for doing it though...seems a bit pricey if you ask me....

Northerngirl

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My husband has also recently started to use insulin. He saw his GP today to ask for the necessary letter for our flight in October. His GP said that all he needs is a copy of his prescription, not a letter. Everything I've read suggests that this is NOT the case. I obviously don't want us to be refused taking the necessary things through security at the airport. Where do I go from here? Thanks

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
My husband has also recently started to use insulin. He saw his GP today to ask for the necessary letter for our flight in October. His GP said that all he needs is a copy of his prescription, not a letter. Everything I've read suggests that this is NOT the case. I obviously don't want us to be refused taking the necessary things through security at the airport. Where do I go from here? Thanks
If he was put on insulin under a hospital or clinic (not GP surgery) ask them!

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@Northerngirl ...some people have said that they have never been asked to produce the letter at airport security but for my own peace of mind I would not want to travel without it even though I always take a copy of the prescription with me.....bearing in mind that you not only have to go through UK security on your way out but also foreign security for wherever you are going I think it is safer to take whatever explanation you need to smooth what can be a stressful process for some.....

Just a suggestion but perhaps there is a helpline number for the airline you are travelling with that would be able to answer whether it is strictly necessary to have a letter or not.....at least then you can go back to your GP and say that you do need it..

If it helps I did ask for the letter to state that my partner would be carrying "insulin supplies and associated equipment (including blood testing monitors, test strips and lancets, ketone test sticks, glucogel and prescription medication) within my hand luggage"....to specify what he would be carrying and where....
...will see what the letter actually says when he collects it from the GP but hope that it covers what we asked for...

It seems that nowadays there are so many different (and necessary) rules and regulations in airport security about what needs to go through scanner, what needs to go in clear plastic bags, what clothes or shoes you need to remove etc, ...I remember last time my bag was taken to one side and swabbed (just a random check and all clear)...so a letter to explain about the insulin will be one less concern if stopped during security procedures.

Hope you have good holiday wherever you are off to...:)

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Have received letter from GP (at a cost of £25)....it seems very brief and just states..

"The above named gentleman is a diabetic and needs to carry his insulin and associated supplies with him on the aircraft. I trust this is in order".

...is addressed 'To whom it may concern' and is on headed paper ....also contains my partner's name, address and date of birth, hence the reference to the 'above named gentleman'

Does this seem sufficient in your opinion....it seems very brief to me..

I will of course take a copy of his current repeat prescription but this will not include the ketone test sticks or the glucogel which were both prescribed as a one-off by the diabetic nurse so I don't have a copy of the prescription for those items.....guess it relies partly on airline staff knowing what 'associated supplies' a diabetic would be carrying...