Levels before bed?!!?

jodi932

Re: Levels before bed?!!?

I was just coming on here to ask that question. I like to be around 10 11 as when I wake im 7.1 slighty above rang. im 5.1 now and not happy going bed with that level. ive only had this 5 weeks. So bit panicky if I went hypo during night? Think im. Wrong to bring it up beforw bed?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Hellbunny

Type of diabetes
Type 1

I also drop too, I know it's a sign our background insulin is too high but the problem is when I reduce it, I wake up high, so for me it's either go to bed high, or wake up high due to dawn phenomenon, I can't see anyway round it without a pump?

iHs

Pumps do help to deal with overnight bg levels but every now and then the overnight basal rate needs to be adjusted as bg levels can just change so diabetics often have to get up in the night and find out which hourly basal rate needs to be altered by testing every 2-3hrs.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

With a bit of trial and error I have my basal pretty spot on I think. My DSN said don't go to bed below 8, but I don't drop in the night so I sleep comfortably if I'm above 6.5

clifton90

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Yeah I take 3 units of levemir before bed and usually drop around 3/4 in the night. I've been doing a bit of trial and error with my evening meal injection, taking minute units or even none. Last night I took none and I was 9.3 before bed and woke up at 5.2. I used to be testing before bed after taking insulin for dinner and wasn't happy at going I bed at five or 6 so ended up having to eat right before bed which I didn't want to do! It's good to see what other people think about the issue :)

clifton90

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Tell a lie, I woke up at 4.8. Is this a sign my background insulin is too high? Going from 9.5 to 4.8 during the night? I've already dramatically cut down my background insulin to 3 units!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Yes I would think that's too high. Have you gotten up and tested through the night at all?

A great book is Think Like a Pancreas. It clearly explains how to do all the tests in order to determine the correct dose for you.

I am also on 3 units a night so although it seems low, you're not the only one!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

clifton90 said:
I haven't no, maybe I should to see what's going on! But I like my sleep too much ha!

Glad I'm not the only one!

It's a must! I did it a lot at first to be sure. Take 2 minutes, I don't even get out of bed to do it haha

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I usually do between 2 and 3am, depending on when I went to bed that's usually about half way through the night. If you find yourself high/low at that time then the next time you do it try testing every 2 or 3 hours. It's not great, but it's only 1 night and will give you an idea of what your body is doing.

Have your dinner and fast acting insulin at least 4-5 hours before bed and don't eat again afterwards. If you find yourself too low to sleep without food, eat and then do the test another night

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Late 5's but below 7 ideally, my bg doesn't move much over 0.5 - 1mmol so I'm happy going to bed at these levels.

clifton90

Type of diabetes
Type 1

See if I eat dinner at 6 o clock I will naturally be hungry by bed time because I'm so used to having dinner about 8! But I think ill try eating a little earlier. Thanks for the advice, ill have a little investigation :)

linsay

I take 34 levimir at night 46 in morning!! I wouldnt go to bed below 8. I will still be around 12/14when i get up but below 8 i hypo. Grrrrr i hate it. On a better note im starting the pump on tuesday!

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

As long as it is more than four hours after my quick acting bolus then around 7 is a happy level for me.