Prediabetes Levels first thing in the morning

Sally66

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there can anyone give me some information about levels when eating late and levels first thing in the morning. I have just started testing and have had readings before and 2 hours after meals all within the "normal" range. However, I had a late evening meal the other night and found that my 2 hour after was 8.1 and then the following morning 6.1. These are not in the "normal" range. Previously I have had nothing above a 5.3 before food and nothing above 7.3 after food. I am assuming this has something to do with activity and the effect on metabolism. I have been diagnosed with pre-diabetes so I'm working hard to keep my levels as normal as possible with diet and exercise. I either swim or power walk daily and have eaten a sensible low carb diet. What I have noticed is that the food I am eating generally only raises by about 0.5. Is this good? Am I doing the right thing? Is the moral of the tale to not eat late in the evening? Any advice very welcome.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi there can anyone give me some information about levels when eating late and levels first thing in the morning. I have just started testing and have had readings before and 2 hours after meals all within the "normal" range. However, I had a late evening meal the other night and found that my 2 hour after was 8.1 and then the following morning 6.1. These are not in the "normal" range. Previously I have had nothing above a 5.3 before food and nothing above 7.3 after food. I am assuming this has something to do with activity and the effect on metabolism. I have been diagnosed with pre-diabetes so I'm working hard to keep my levels as normal as possible with diet and exercise. I either swim or power walk daily and have eaten a sensible low carb diet. What I have noticed is that the food I am eating generally only raises by about 0.5. Is this good? Am I doing the right thing? Is the moral of the tale to not eat late in the evening? Any advice very welcome.

Hi @Sally66

We are all different and you have to discover by trial and error what works best for you. What i would say though is that you should try not to get too hung up on individual readings because our meters are not that accurate. Above true glucose levels of 4.2mmol/l our meters are allowed to be +/-20% out of spec. Add to this the fact that your blood is not a uniform mixture and you can get a significant variation in the readings.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose-meters/blood-glucose-meter-accuracy.html

Repeat the exercise a few times and look for trends. If you are only rising by 0.5mmol/l 2hrs after food then I think you're doing exceptionally well, I wish my control was that tight.

This chart can be found on the main website.........

upload_2015-8-4_13-22-11.png

It gives you some idea of where you might expect to be. Take the non-diabetic 2hr figure (under 7.8) and factor in the possible meter errors then I would suggest that your 8.1 looks pretty good as an isolated reading