Type 2 levels

Yeoyeo86

Hi,

I'm a little confused as to my levels this morning and wanted to know I what I've experienced is normal for a type 2.
I checked my levels at 8am an the reading was 7.2
I didn't eat before dropping kid off at school as it makes me feel ill when in eat too early.
When I returned home I checked my levels again while my porridge was cooking an I got a reading of 13.5
Again I hadn't yet eaten anything. Is it normal for it to spike like that before you've had your first meal of the day? I've been eating very healthy so in general I've had really good levels in the 5's or lower 6's for the most part.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I'm a little confused as to my levels this morning and wanted to know I what I've experienced is normal for a type 2.
I checked my levels at 8am an the reading was 7.2
I didn't eat before dropping kid off at school as it makes me feel ill when in eat too early.
When I returned home I checked my levels again while my porridge was cooking an I got a reading of 13.5
Again I hadn't yet eaten anything. Is it normal for it to spike like that before you've had your first meal of the day? I've been eating very healthy so in general I've had really good levels in the 5's or lower 6's for the most part.

When we wake in the mornings our livers are triggered to secrete glucose to the blood stream to help us start the day. This is a natural event and happens to everyone, including non-diabetics. The pancreas then secretes insulin to deal with this glucose and push it into our cells for energy and the liver is then triggered to stop secreting glucose. However, in most cases of Type 2, we are insulin resistant so this insulin doesn't work properly and the glucose stays in the blood stream, and the liver doesn't receive the trigger to stop secreting the glucose.. The more insulin resistant we are, the more glucose is produced by the liver and more glucose appears in the blood stream. This is known as the dawn phenomenon or liver dump. It seems this is what is happening to you. You can read about it here. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose/dawn-phenomenon.html

Reactions: kitedoc