Levels

Robert 2170

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all just a quick one I went to bed last nigh with a reading of 5.2 which is the lowest I have been for. Long time before bed yet get up this morning and it is at 9.9
I take 12 units of Levimer at night and novorapid during the day
Have had a cold and been struggling to keep my levels below 10 even though I have been carb counting and taking what I think is the correct amount
I am on a 1:1 ratio but thinking I might have to change any ideas would be a help

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would say do not go making any changes to your ratios while you are still sick since things will change.
I find that when I am ill I do need to increase my doses a little bit (also just had a cold) so it is not unexpected.

Do you know what the effect of 1unit of insulin is on your BG? Also have you been testing for ketones? It could well be that you have raised ketone levels and this can effectively seem to soak up some of the insulin you are giving as a correction.

One thing that may well be happening is your Levemir may not be enough. Have you tried doing a carb free dinner so that you are not rolling a bolus into the mix to see what happens over night? Also during the day do your levels creep up?

First try and work out what a 1 unit correction dose does to you so you can figure if you are in fact dosing correctly, next have a look at some carb free meals to see if your sugars still rise over time. If that is the case then you may need to bump your levemir dose a little.

Robert 2170

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have been testing but not very often
Nothing was showing I was on lantus till 2 month ago and so just getting used the the Levimer and how it affects me
1 unit of insun normally brings me down bye 2 to 3 units so I can normally work out what I need but All it has been doing is either keeping it at the reading I had before I eat or it goes up so need more insulin than I took

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Josef1980

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Antibodies >_<!
Call your Doctor or Diabetic Nurse.