Diet only
Dislikes
Bad manners
Bad driving
Greed
Disrespecting others
Bullying
Hi. Just a question please.
My morning test is usually around 7.5 average. But I have found that if I eat something carby or sweet an hour before I go to bed my levels in the morning are much lower at around 5.
Can anyone explain this please.

On another note I notice my pre lunch reading is always very low. 4 or 3 or as the other day 2.6.
I eat breakfast at 8am, then have Greek yoghurt and berries at 10.30 on my break. Then lunch at 12.

Mija

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I dont have an answer for you but my morning test has been around 8.5 the last week or so (newly diagnosed, so much higher before that). My premeal tests at night has been as low as 6.1-6.5. Im on 4xMetformin/day and I eat pretty strict LCHF. Someone recommended to drink a glass of farina (potato starch) mixed with water, 2 tbs/glass, before you go to bed. I started out with 1 glass of 1 tbs farina+water last night and this morning my test was 7.0. Im going to try this out some more, in the hope to get my morning test even lower.

Reactions: 2 people

Lin 26

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bad manners
Bad driving
Greed
Disrespecting others
Bullying
Thanks Mija. It's a learning curve isn't it. I was hoping. For a few more responses. Never mind.

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't quote me, but I suspect you were going low through the night and your liver was dumping, giving you the higher reading. Having the carbs before bed stops you going low whilst asleep and you wake up with a lower reading...

I may be wrong as I've just noticed you are type 2 not one, but it still seems reasonable to me...

Mija

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What I've been told is that I probably have what they call the dawn effect or something like that. Google it, maybe you have the same issue. Some farina (ie restistant starch) in your stomac can get your BG down in the morning. I thought it was worth a try..

Nicko2K

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've read somewhere at some point having a little snack before bed can help keep your levels from going too low while you sleep. Thus preventing liver dump resulting in more stable & lower morning readings :-B

Type 1 Diabetic: (Novorapid/Levemir) Diagnosed 2014: Extremely handsome: Always smiling :)

Lin 26

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bad manners
Bad driving
Greed
Disrespecting others
Bullying
Thanks for your help. It's all a bit weird at the moment as I'm going through menopause so hot sweats during the night etc. and strangely I keep waking up feeling funny. It's like I'm disappearing into the mattress ! No I'm not nutty! Lol. I feel funny, wake, then turn over, then feel better. I'm going to speak to nurse next month.
I will try having a couple of crackers before bedtime.