1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Levemir 24 Hours

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Sharrryn, Aug 31, 2018.

1. Sharrryn

Sharrryn Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I've always split my levemir. Not an even split - 10 units am and 4 units pm. I'm now down to 2 units pm and still going low overnight. Is there anyone who uses levemir once a day? My diabetes educator says there are some people who find it does last 24 hours and only need it once a day.

2. O_DP_T1

O_DP_T1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I am using it once a day 17u, I am sure it doesn't quite last 24hrs I am considering splitting it.

3. scotteric

scotteric Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Everyone is different, the only way to find out is to try it!

• Like Like x 3
  4. Dixon1995

Dixon1995 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I was told levemir lasts 12-16 hours with it peaking around then, unfortunately I was moved recently from levemir Detemir, to abasaglar glargine, good job I knew the difference even if the doctor thought they were identical treatments, I was on 40 units levemir, 20 morning 20 night.... I trialed this with the Abasaglar but knew it was more potent, so I am now on 15 morning 15 night. Youre told to use Glargine once daily, but I find this usually causes hypos more often, we know ourselves better than anyone... good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Khushi Nagpal

Khushi Nagpal Type 1 · Active Member

I don’t split the long-acting. I take about 18-20 units at 8:30 pm every night. Fortunately, it doesn’t seem to create issues, though I have noticed that my sugar is usually on the lower side in the morning. I do think that a small effect does remain for most of the day, but I can’t say about the full 24 hours. Guess the effect and lasting period depends on the person.

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook