Levemir conking out

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Does anyone else find that Levemir vials have individually limited lifespans? I keep mine in the fridge but even so some last until the last 20 or so units, some have conked put by 150 units. This has happened with my last vial and a very bad night’s sleep with multiple corrections and an involuntary no carb high bs day today.
I’m not ill, I was cheerful and unstressed, except by the high bs, I was occupied, not sitting around doing nothing.
This has happened before and it’s impossible to know how long each vial will remain fully active.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Unfortunately I have no scientific ways of testing insulin strength/health other than testing it on myself.

Reactions: kitedoc

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I can't prove it, but have had my suspicions from time to time. The trouble is it could just be a bad injection site. If in doubt, use a new vial.

I don’t think it’s a bad site as I’ve changed the site to eliminate that possibility.
I feel I’m flying blind while I try to discover the cause of this - it’s happened a few times since I transferred to Levemir and it’s beginning to get me down.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Fairygodmother, Sorry to hear you are having trouble,
We Type 1's depend on our insulin and any doubt about it is of grave concern.
Absorption issues: When you say you have changed the site of injection does that mean that you rotate sites so that you do not get near a used site for 4 to 6 weeks later?
Insulin degradation issues: Is there any precipitate (cloudy solid material in the container of Levemir insulin)) which you can or cannot get to dissolve up into the fluid by gently rolling the container to and fro? And do you have levemir stored for any length of time in a plastic syringe or similar? (My Novorapid becomes less effective if I use it in my pump for > 3 days, possibly due to contact with the plastic tubing)!?
Reporting/recalls etc: Have you reported your concerns to the manufacturer/supplier of Levemir ? Could there be an issue to do with transport and storage of Levemir prior to sale?
Dosing: I assume you are injecting twice daily with Levemir?
Best Wishes with finding a solution soon. At least knowing that the first 150 units appears to work gives you some certainty whilst the matter is sorted.:):):)

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks @kitedoc, the only bit of advice you give that I don’t already do is reporting the problem to the manufacturers/distributors. I plan to see the pharmacy that provides my Levemir later today.
I find it ironic that the new vial I put in last night was stored next door to the pen in the fridge, same shelf, same date of collection. It’s an understatement to say I was cheerful on waking up to see a steady in range line on the Libre this morning after the previous night and day’s multiple correction doses!
I always use a frio if I need to take a pen of Levemir with me when going out or travelling but I’ll be looking at its efficiency too.

Reactions: kitedoc

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks @kitedoc, the only bit of advice you give that I don’t already do is reporting the problem to the manufacturers/distributors. I plan to see the pharmacy that provides my Levemir later today.
I find it ironic that the new vial I put in last night was stored next door to the pen in the fridge, same shelf, same date of collection. It’s an understatement to say I was cheerful on waking up to see a steady in range line on the Libre this morning after the previous night and day’s multiple correction doses!
I always use a frio if I need to take a pen of Levemir with me when going out or travelling but I’ll be looking at its efficiency too.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Oh gawd, the duplicated post fairy’s at it again.