Levemir Split Dose to Tresiba

pauloboero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone.

I am a type 1 diabetic since 2008 and always had my treatment with two split doses of Levemir (currently 24 units in the morning and 20 units in the evening) plus NovoRapid but my doctor suggested me to change basal insulin to Tresiba.

I would like to know if you guys have any experience in this switch, from levemir to tresiba. Does the amount of units are the same? Considering my doctors prescription I would change basal insulin to a daily Tresiba 34 dose in the morning...

Thanks in advance,
Paulo

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Welcome to the forum Paulo.

Your Dr should have said what your starting dose should be, best that you contact them and ask as we can't advise on such matters.

Reactions: 4 people

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @pauloboero

I switched from Lantus to Tresiba and the dose is not the same. You Doctor is right to start you on a lower overall dose and will probably titrate it until you find the correct dose. The main criteria when switching basal insulin is to avoid overnight hypos. Hope it goes well for you. I've been using it since last summer and find it has a very flat profile.

Reactions: 5 people

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Paulo!

I've just changed from Levemir to Tresiba - although I'd already started the move away from Levemir and was using two basal, Levemir and insuman to try to get coverage without hypos. Anyway, I have found I need considerably less Tresiba than Levemir.mI had been on 7units Levemir at night and 8 in the morning. I'm currently taking only 10 units Tresiba for the whole day and am still running a little low so will be taking that down to 9 units.

You really do have to wait 3days after adjusting Tresiba to see the effect - people warned me of this but I was a little impatient and kept adjusting after only one or two days which resulted in too high a dose and lots of hypos. It's taken me several weeks to get to anything like the right dose.

Smidge

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Paulo,

I found I needed the same amount of tresiba vs levemir (one dose daily).

But I think most other poeple do find they need less, particularly if they were previously on a split dose of levemir. I was recommmend by DSN to try a lower does initially and raise it as requierd. As Smidge says please let about 3 days before increasing as it does take time to equilibrate.

Good luck, I'm really pleased with it and hope it works well for you too :)

Reactions: 2 people

pauloboero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everybody for the great answers. Sorry for posting in the forum in the wrong section.

I am really switching basal insulin due to night hypos... i had two severe hypos while sleeping and broke the right shoulder due to a convulsion in last episode.

I will maintain the dose of Tresiba in next two days and will continue to deeply monitor sugar levels in order to better adjust it.

Thanks again u guys for the great forum that help lots of people like us.

Cheers

Reactions: 4 people

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Your dr is right.
I used to take a total daily amount of 32 units of levemir per day - Split into 2 doses.
I only take 17 units of Tresiba per day now
Tresiba is peakless and stays in the system for about 36 hours

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
I was levemir for a few years but started having reactions with it, ie lumps after injecting that were mad itchy so I was put on lantus start swap over 26 units, I dropped the lantus down to 18 units over a few weeks as I was having many hypos a day/night.

I,m now on Degludec/Tresiba and started on 12 units in the evening and dropped it down to 11 as I was still getting afternoon hypos, alls been fine until today after a hectic lunch time at work when my bloods plumeted, so I,m going to drop down to 10 units and continue regular blood tests

Reactions: Kevlar87

Lynne211

Thanks everybody for the great answers. Sorry for posting in the forum in the wrong section.

I am really switching basal insulin due to night hypos... i had two severe hypos while sleeping and broke the right shoulder due to a convulsion in last episode.

I will maintain the dose of Tresiba in next two days and will continue to deeply monitor sugar levels in order to better adjust it.

Thanks again u guys for the great forum that help lots of people like us.

Cheers
Don't you wear a CGM

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not everybody can afford a CGM, and some people suffer reactions to them as well.