Levemir vs Tresiba for Runners

philwoolfall

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all, I currently take insuman as my basal insulin and although it's quite old I haven't seen the need to switch as my control has always been good. Anyway, time moves on and the time to change has now come and I'm weighing up Levemir vs Tresiba. My basal injected quantity has always been pretty stable, the one real exception being when I run ultramarathons when I significantly reduce it. I generally run average of 60km/week but with occasional individual races of up to 100 miles. I was wondering if anyone has experience of doing a fair bit of running (especially long distance) with Levemir or Tresiba as their basal, especially Tresiba as due to longer action it seems that reducing dosage is more problematic.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wouldn't say Tresiba is very suitable on differing amounts of exercise, yes it is a great basal but not as flexile as what you'd probably need/want, any dose adjustments take at least 3 days to take effect so I would tend to think you'd experience quite a few lows over trying to reduce it, I can't have an input about Levemir as I've only ever used Tresiba xx

Reactions: philwoolfall