Levimir dosage/split

LWA

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Soaps
I previously used to take 30 units of Levimir in the evening for my long acting, however recently experianced highs so have since split my dose, which initially helped.
i now take 40 units in total (15am and 25pm) and despite some very good days do not seem to have found a steady pattern as highs still occur .
i appreciate we are all different but does anyone consider 40 units is excessivelly high?

I carb count and feel my short acting Novorapid is well controlled.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
LWA,

Using 40 units isn't excessive as long as it control your blood glucose, much tripe is written about insulin usage, but we are all different and our bodies have different requirements, so please don't feel like a failure if your insulin usage is more than the next persons.

The only way of knowing if you have the split dose correctlyis by fasting, this will mean skipping a meal and testing bg throughout this period, provided your previous meal has been bolused correctly you should see if your background insulin is sufficient by your meter results. So, if your bg rises increase your levemir by 2 units, should it fall and cause hypo's then you need to reduce it by the same, if in doubt ask your dsn for guidance.

Nigel

Chewitt

hi i had similar problems with levamir when i was moved over from glargine, what spacing do you use between injections? levamir in my case only lasts around 12 hours, if your having hypers or hypos in the evening around 7-8pm and you injected at say 6pm it worked for me to adjust my morning dosage as the evening dosage will affect the next 12 hours however its good to have an over lap, if your having hypers in the evening possibly move your evening jab back an hour, this can give you a small boost as your morning injection is running out, i hope this makes sence.