Libre 1 and 2

mick808

Can anyone tell me if my Libre 2 reader will read a Libre 1 sensor. Asking as there is a lot of difference in price.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Libre 1 reader does NOT read Libre 2 sensors.
But there is no difference in price between the sensors and, if you have a Libre 1 reader, you can apply online for a free Libre 2 reader.
The information is all available on the Freestyle Libre website.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Can anyone tell me if my Libre 2 reader will read a Libre 1 sensor.
I'm not sure if the reader for the Libre 2 will read the Libre 1.
Are you sure you want to use the reader? Most smartphones are compatible with Libre so many of us don't even have the reader.

Libre 1 reader does NOT read Libre 2 sensors.
It won't have the alarms but the Libre 1 will read the Libre 2 sensors just fine.

edit: From your answers it looks like the update for the old reader to make it work with Libre2 is not available in the UK. Very strange but it seems you should ignore that last bit of information unless you live in the Netherlands.
My apologies for the confusion.

Last edited:

Emily95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Libre 2 reader won’t read Libre 1 sensors, and Libre 1 reader won’t read Libre 2 sensors. Had a 1 on one arm and a 2 on other arm once and mixed up the reader devices scanning once, and neither will work with the other sensor.

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would be careful about paying for a libre 1 sreader incase the libre 1 gets discontinued now the libre 2 is being so widely rolled out.

I have got a libre 1 reader I was wondering if there was anywhere I could donate it to now my prescription has been changed to libre 2.

Edited to correct typo - sorry I meant I'd be careful paying for the libre 1 reader incase the libre 1 sensors get discontinued in the next few months.

Last edited:

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not sure if the reader for the Libre 2 will read the Libre 1.
Are you sure you want to use the reader? Most smartphones are compatible with Libre so many of us don't even have the reader.

It won't have the alarms but the Libre 1 will read the Libre 2 sensors just fine.

Sorry Antje, you are wrong. The Libre 1 reader DOES NOT work on the Libre 2 sensor. Very misleading

Where are you getting your information from

mick808

sorry all, Im still a little confused. I have a Libre 2 reader that was given to me as a present.(nice).
As the Libre 2 sensors are £60 each, and the Libre 1 sensors are £30 each, give or take. Will my Libre2 reader be able to read Libre1 sensor. Im not worried about alarms or other functions , just the mmol and whether Im rising or falling

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Not trying to derail the thread, but does anyone have a phone number for Abbott? I was trying to order some sensors online and the transaction was declined. Checked with my bank and it's not them declined but something to do with Abbott and Google app!! No idea
Phone number if you have one

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry Antje, you are wrong. The Libre 1 reader DOES NOT work on the Libre 2 sensor. Very misleading

Where are you getting your information from
From the supplier, it's in the FAQ section of their website:
"22. Ik heb een foutmelding gekregen na het scannen van mijn FreeStyle Libre 2-sensor met mijn FreeStyle Libre-reader. Kan ik mijn reader updaten om mijn FreeStyle Libre 2-sensor te kunnen scannen voor glucosewaarden?
Ja, de software van de FreeStyle Libre-reader kan worden geüpdatet om de FreeStyle Libre 2-sensor te scannen voor glucosewaarden, maar de FreeStyle Libre-reader geeft geen optionele glucosealarmen. "
https://www.boerenmedical.nl/veelgestelde-vragen-over-freestyle-libre-2/

You need to update the reader through a computer to make it work with the Libre2.
Also from users in Facebook groups, so yes, it works.

However, with everyone here saying it's impossible, I'm starting to think this update is available in the Netherlands but not in the UK for some reason. I'll edit my post to reflect this, I don't want to put out misleading information.

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not trying to derail the thread, but does anyone have a phone number for Abbott? I was trying to order some sensors online and the transaction was declined. Checked with my bank and it's not them declined but something to do with Abbott and Google app!! No idea
Phone number if you have one

Hi Sue

General enquiries : 0800 170 1177
Monday to Friday between 8:00 AM and 8:00 PM, Saturday 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM (excluding Bank Holidays).

Reactions: SueJB

Lakeslover

I’m not sure where you are getting the sensors from, but if you buy directly from Abbott on their website the libre 1 and 2 sensors are exactly the same price.