Libre 2.0 update

Rocinante

So I've just got another couple of Libre's to try out and do a bit of experimenting with and have noticed a few quite interesting things so far.

- Still having gels on cycles as I just can't do the full distance fasted - these do appear to have a significant effect on my BG levels. Need to find a way to adapt to more efficient fuelling which has a lower impact on BG levels. Unfortunately, I'm one of the ones who's BG levels rise when I get on the bike - even fasted these go up to 9 and today after the supposed low GI one I tried, went up to 10.8. Any suggestions welcome.
- Dark chocolate (85%) does not affect me blood sugar and actually appears to reduce it.
- Gin & Tonic doesn't affect my blood sugar either (thank god).
- I normally take my daily vitamins (quite a cocktail, including Vit C, D, Zinc, Selenium, flax seed oil etc) in the evening and swapping to taking this in the morning appears to have a fairly significant impact on reducing my BG levels overnight and somehow reduces the spike I get in the morning. I've even woke up with BG levels at 4.6.

This latter point is really quite astonishing for me.

Next thing is to try wine and beer and a bit of running - keen to see what effect this has on my BG levels.

The other big change I've made is making ketchup at home, which is zero sugar and ditching the shop bought stuff. After this there is nothing in my regular diet which has significant sugar.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Can you clarify the title of this thread?
Have you experience of version 2.0 of the Libre?
I was not aware this is available in the UK.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Not sure if the tonic is the diet kind..? Gin will retard liver dumping glycogen. It kind of keeps the liver busy processing the alcohol content.
I realy wouldn't advocate any form of road excersise whilst inebriated..

Rocinante

Can you clarify the title of this thread?
Have you experience of version 2.0 of the Libre?
I was not aware this is available in the UK.

No, this is not the second model of the Libre - it is my second go of using a Libre. I am prediabetic and are using the Libre to work out what types of food and drink are having significant impact on BG levels.

Reactions: In Response

Rocinante

Hi,

Not sure if the tonic is the diet kind..? Gin will retard liver dumping glycogen. It kind of keeps the liver busy processing the alcohol content.
I realy wouldn't advocate any form of road excersise whilst inebriated..

Interesting - is this also the case with beer? (which is carby as I understand)?

Of course I don't cycle drunk - its hazardous enough sober in the UK!!!

Nicole T

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm on my 4th Libre (5th if you include the free replacement for the first faulty one.) I find you need to take the actual readings with a massive pinch of salt (although it predicted my HbA1c to be 39, and my actual result was 39.) The spikes are more interesting, including the longer term effects of some foods that don't necessarily spike you badly 2 hours after eating.

In spite of all of the carbs, beer doesn't seem to have any significant effect on my sugar, even the morning after. My charts for dry nights look much the same as my charts for drinky nights. Naturally, spirits and sugar free mixers are the best option if you're going to drink, but I tend to be fine with Carling, at around 11g of carbs per can. Bear in mind that some beers can be double that. Possibly more.

Light exercise (riding my e-bike using the power assistance) seems to spike me quite badly. As though my body is preparing for proper exercise by dumping glucose into my bloodstream, and then finding that it doesn't actually need it. More strenuous exercise (getting my heart rate over 140 and working up a proper sweat on my exercise bike) doesn't seem to spike me at all. Driving seems to increase my levels, too. I suspect my body reacts to it as exercise, even though it isn't.

I took a bit of a break before putting the current one on. While, in the past, I found myself religiously reading it at less than 8 hour intervals (even waking up in the night) to avoid losing data, I'm not really keeping on top of it this time round, so I'm getting gaps. I'm probably going to take a break from Libre and go back to finger prick testing. Though I now have two meters, one of which reads consistently and significantly higher than the other, so I'm not sure which to trust.

Reactions: Rocinante

Rocinante

In spite of all of the carbs, beer doesn't seem to have any significant effect on my sugar, even the morning after. My charts for dry nights look much the same as my charts for drinky nights. Naturally, spirits and sugar free mixers are the best option if you're going to drink, but I tend to be fine with Carling, at around 11g of carbs per can. Bear in mind that some beers can be double that. Possibly more.

Very interesting. I'm just about to have a corona (beer) to see what the effect is.

Yeah - I have to say that the seeing the effect of foods is very interesting indeed.

For some reason, when I applied this particular Libre, it hurt like a b(*$£%& and now there is a huge blue bruise in the area! Has anyone else had this?

Reactions: Nicole T

Nicole T

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Very interesting. I'm just about to have a corona (beer) to see what the effect is.

Yeah - I have to say that the seeing the effect of foods is very interesting indeed.

For some reason, when I applied this particular Libre, it hurt like a b(*$£%& and now there is a huge blue bruise in the area! Has anyone else had this?
Never had any bruising. They can be a bit sore for a couple of days after applying, and I've had one go a bit sore towards the last few days of wear.

I've seen mention of infection, so I always clean very thoroughly with the supplied alcohol wipes, and sometimes even use my own bottle of IPA (cleaning alcohol, not pale ale) to clean the site before applying.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Sounds like you managed to nick a little blood vessel when you applied the Libre. I haven't experienced that myself over many sensors, but several have. Some find it makes their sensor more accurate/less accurate/just fine* (*delete as applicable), but no consistent outcome.

Good luck with it all.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting - is this also the case with beer? (which is carby as I understand)?

Of course I don't cycle drunk - its hazardous enough sober in the UK!!!

Hi,

I really, don't do beer. My personal experience as a T1 on insulin is it's like liquid pizza? (Regarding my BG reactions in general.) I don't do to well overnight.

Libre wise. Never had any bruises. The odd slight "twang," (sensation) that's it. Oh, & the occaisional bleed from the centre hole from the punch.. In the couple of years I've been using them. Never had to replace a duff censor to date.

It's certainly a revelation using them.

Rocinante

Hi,

I really, don't do beer. My personal experience as a T1 on insulin is it's like liquid pizza? (Regarding my BG reactions in general.) I don't do to well overnight.

Libre wise. Never had any bruises. The odd slight "twang," (sensation) that's it. Oh, & the occaisional bleed from the centre hole from the punch.. In the couple of years I've been using them. Never had to replace a duff censor to date.

It's certainly a revelation using them.

Well I had 2x corona last night and there wasn't an immediate reaction on my BG levels, but my overall BG today, is somewhat higher than it was yesterday (that could also be because I had a long cycle on Sunday which lead to reduced BG on Monday, but will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow. Makes one realise that its very difficult to change only 1 variable!

Sounds like you managed to nick a little blood vessel when you applied the Libre. I haven't experienced that myself over many sensors, but several have. Some find it makes their sensor more accurate/less accurate/just fine* (*delete as applicable), but no consistent outcome.

Good luck with it all.

Thanks! I think rather than nick it I went right through!

Reactions: Jaylee

DanW13

Weird thing happened this evening, had a delicious roast lamb, cauliflower rice, broccoli, kale, parsnips & small amount of peas/carrots. Post meal on Libre it’s spiked me to 8.9. Yet yesterday a sirloin steak with similar green veg & about 20g Quinoa only took me up to 7.4. Out of the 2 I’d have put money on the one with quinoa spiking me more yet it didn’t??

The lamb did have a luxury gravy (which was amazing) & had 8g of carbs for half the pack, but can’t believe it’s just that. Cumulative effect of everything with the meal?

Back down to 5.9 now after 90 minutes! Just surprised as low carb diet this week hasn’t put me above 8 once, in fact barely above 7, until tonight & it wasn’t a meal I was expecting trouble from!

Rocinante

Weird thing happened this evening, had a delicious roast lamb, cauliflower rice, broccoli, kale, parsnips & small amount of peas/carrots. Post meal on Libre it’s spiked me to 8.9. Yet yesterday a sirloin steak with similar green veg & about 20g Quinoa only took me up to 7.4. Out of the 2 I’d have put money on the one with quinoa spiking me more yet it didn’t??

The lamb did have a luxury gravy (which was amazing) & had 8g of carbs for half the pack, but can’t believe it’s just that. Cumulative effect of everything with the meal?

Back down to 5.9 now after 90 minutes! Just surprised as low carb diet this week hasn’t put me above 8 once, in fact barely above 7, until tonight & it wasn’t a meal I was expecting trouble from!

Probably parsnips? Quite high in carbs.

Also I think you have a greater BS response if you're on a low carb diet than if you have regular frequent amounts of carbs.