Libre 2 & Finger Pricks

Eglinton71

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Can anyone point me to guidance, other than from the DVLA, about when you should check Libre results with a finger prick test. GP seems to think it should rarely be necessary but my experience is that Libre can be very different if BG is rising or falling quickly so I prefer to test before taking any action. What do others think?

Thanks

Reactions: jessA2024

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I tend to When there are anomalies with a reading from the sensor & hypo events.
Especially recovery from hypos? The sensor tends to lag with the rise from a sub or around 3.5mmol for me..

Reactions: mariavontrapp

jessA2024

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Can anyone point me to guidance, other than from the DVLA, about when you should check Libre results with a finger prick test. GP seems to think it should rarely be necessary but my experience is that Libre can be very different if BG is rising or falling quickly so I prefer to test before taking any action. What do others think?

Thanks
Can I ask. How are you finding the sensor

Eglinton71

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Can I ask. How are you finding the sensor

Overall it makes managing diabetes easier and I wouldn't want to be without it. However as others have commented the Libre isn't as helpful when BG levels are changing rapidly which is exactly when you need accurate results in order to determine any necessary action.

Benjiib

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah the sensors are good but again depending on the area of the body can alter the readings and give false readings causing you to react and then push your sugars in the wrong direction, I normally feel something wrong and when I don't feel different I check with the finger prick but I'd say it's mostly the location that can alter the accuracy..

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Being suitably hydrated can help & making sure the probe isn’t in or too close to muscle tissue? (Which used to cause strange yo yo readings for me with physical exertion like sawing wood with the libre placed on the sawing arm..?)

With regards to accuracy…

• Useful
Reactions: aylalake