Libre 2 inconsistencies

aris

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What is everyones success rate with the LIbre 2? For me when it works - it is great. But maybe 25% or more of the time, the sensor is just gives inconsistent readings compared to finger prick test. I want to keep liking this product, but i'm wondering if it is me - or is it the device?

For instance, reading of 7.1 on libre but 5.4 on finger. I know there is a 15-30 minute delay in what you see on Libre - but looking at my graph, it has been nowhere near 5 today, let alone below 6.

I've e-mailed them to see what they can do about it. I'm paying out of pocket and really expect more for my £50.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Is it a new sensor? I ask because you may be experiencing "insertion trauma". It is common for our body to react to the alien object in our arm when it is first inserted which will affect the readings. This is why some of us will insert a new sensor a day or two before activating it.
Could you be dehydrated? Lack of fluid can affect the readings from a CGM.
Have you checked your finger prick meter against calibration fluid recently. We use our meters so often that we come to rely on them and forget that a finger prick meter may be out - they only have to be within 15% accuracy. If your "true" BG was 6.4, it could be reported as anywhere between 5.4 and 7.4. With this in mind, Libre may not be that far out.

aris

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is it a new sensor? I ask because you may be experiencing "insertion trauma". It is common for our body to react to the alien object in our arm when it is first inserted which will affect the readings. This is why some of us will insert a new sensor a day or two before activating it.
Could you be dehydrated? Lack of fluid can affect the readings from a CGM.
Have you checked your finger prick meter against calibration fluid recently. We use our meters so often that we come to rely on them and forget that a finger prick meter may be out - they only have to be within 15% accuracy. If your "true" BG was 6.4, it could be reported as anywhere between 5.4 and 7.4. With this in mind, Libre may not be that far out.

Had it on for a week. I typically insert 12-24 hours before I activate. Notwithstanding that - I still often get erroneous readings for the first day or so of activation. I may consider 48 hours before activating.

Not dehydrated - I drink fluids all day long (and liquidate them too!)

Thanks for the reminder on calibration. I just checked and it is smack bang in the middle of the acceptable range. So, as far as I can see, calibrated.

I'm taking a log of readings over the day - and i'm going to send them to Abbott support.

In some respects, i'm happy that it is lower on the finger. I have spent the past week wondering why my fasting glucose was running above what it was a week or so ago. Still, i'd prefer if the CGM did what it was supposed to.

aris

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In case anyone else is in a similar predicament, I mailed Abbott, filled out all their multiple forms, gave sample readings of both etc. In the end they are sending me a replacement.

Didn't get much of an explanation (which would have been nice), but there you go.

Reactions: HairySmurf

aris

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I asked for more of an explanation - and I got this which I suspect is a copy/pasta:

In regards to your question about the faulty Freestyle Libre 2 sensors, I would say it is a rare issue as it occurs with one sensor that maybe defected. The cause of this can be through various scenarios. As for the first scenario it can be a factor of where the small filament needle could be bent and this can lead to erratic readings. The second scenario is of how the sensor may not be responding well with the NFC. As to try resolve the issue we would advise you to be in contact with us and we can look towards offering you some manual troubleshooting steps to try resolve the issue.

MoyaAnne

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Gym
Exercise classes
My readings are more or less around the same on Libre as when I finger prick test. Sometimes above sometimes below. Never a massive difference.
My HbA1c predicted 50. I was happy with that ( 91 at diagnosis) so I am very happy that result came back lower. 4.5.
I’m now only pre diabetic.
Two stone lighter and bs mainly stable between 5 and 7.
I’ve had the occasional 8 but I’m happy with my progress so far.
Can’t take my eye off the ball though.
Hoping to reduce my MF dosage. If I ever manage to get an appointment with my GP.
I’m lucky if I can get through, usually ends with a 40 minute wait then.. Sorry no apts

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
To be honest being 7 instead of 5 isn't going to cause you many problems , readings constantly above 10 will cause issues , the stress that some people get into because they try to keep bs in a tight range can add to the fact that sugars raise , I speak from over 40 years of experience 30 years of which my Hb1Ac was well over90 , now my sugars are in the low to mid 50s