Libre 2 Problems scanning with a Samsung phone

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Folks

Hope this finds everyone well. I am having real problems scanning my Libre 2 with my Samsung a21s This has been the case for some time but has become more of an issue now you cannot download data from the reader to Diasend. I now have to use my phone all the time.

Most times when I scan it takes. 3 or 4 attempts before I get a reading. This is particularly frustrating when it is alarming with a high or low reading.

Abbott have been no help. They suggested going to the Samsung Shop. There are no Samsung shops locally. There does not appear to be one in Scotland. I have tried the live chat, they suggested a soft reset which has made no difference.

Hoping someone else has experienced this problem and hopefully found a solution

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Folks

Hope this finds everyone well. I am having real problems scanning my Libre 2 with my Samsung a21s This has been the case for some time but has become more of an issue now you cannot download data from the reader to Diasend. I now have to use my phone all the time.

Most times when I scan it takes. 3 or 4 attempts before I get a reading. This is particularly frustrating when it is alarming with a high or low reading.

Abbott have been no help. They suggested going to the Samsung Shop. There are no Samsung shops locally. There does not appear to be one in Scotland. I have tried the live chat, they suggested a soft reset which has made no difference.

Hoping someone else has experienced this problem and hopefully found a solution

Hi,

Some NFC aerials are near the camera lense on phones?
However, (like my Note 4.) the antenna is incorporated with the battery?
Infact, one has to be mindful when replacing batteries as some cheaper replacements don't have the aerial..

In short, (I know it sounds like a dumb question.)
Are you certain you are scanning with the right area at the back of your device?

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for your reply, reasonable point. As far as I can tell yes I am scanning with the right area. Some times it buzzes twice but does not give a reading, other times it buzzes once and then tells me hold phone over the sensor till it has buzzed twice. I am holding it over the sensor where it buzzed once when it does that.

The Abbott rep said my phone has market dependent nfc and to scan it needs open nfc.

I am not keen to change my phone as it is only about a year old. Unfortunately It is not on the Abbot list of compatible
phones !!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your reply, reasonable point. As far as I can tell yes I am scanning with the right area. Some times it buzzes twice but does not give a reading, other times it buzzes once and then tells me hold phone over the sensor till it has buzzed twice. I am holding it over the sensor where it buzzed once when it does that.

The Abbott rep said my phone has market dependent nfc and to scan it needs open nfc.

I am not keen to change my phone as it is only about a year old. Unfortunately It is not on the Abbot list of compatible
phones !!

Yep, I know what you mean about forking out on devices. Lol, mine isn't on the "list" either.. I can't justify the expense.

Sounds like the Abbott rep was suggesting changing the security protocols on your phone with your NFC?? If you don't use it for transactions for payment, it maybe worth a try?

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi there thanks for your reply. I do not use my phone for payment so will look into this.

Not sure why Abbott stopped the downloading of data to Diasend. Probably related to money

Thanks again

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This doesn't make sense. The term "market dependent" means that the phone has nfc in certain countries it is sold and not others. Clearly since you phone works sometimes it has nfc. You can confirm this by going to settings and typing NFC in the search. I don't know what they meant by open.
NFC has a range of about 10cms but I found that going too close with my Sony phone was also a problem. About 5cms with the plane of the phone parallel to the sensor worked for me.

peat5961

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have the exact same phone mine is about 6 months old

On mine the best place I get readings

Is to hold it right over the sensor nearly touching it just under the were the camera lens are on the opposite side to them

(Looking at the back of the phone about 3 cm from the top on the right) hope that makes sense

But I have to be spot on to get readings it’s very finicky

Guess it’s just the phone
When I get a new one it will not be a Samsung

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks very much for your replies. I will certainly take care to position my phone over the sensor, I feel that I do this but will double check that. I feel that it is the phone and like you it will not be going for another Samsung.

Thanks again

jape

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have Libre !, and do scannings with both my Libre reader and my LG phone. The reason is to see f I get the same result on both. The scanning on my phone is a real pain, and I am having the same issues as the OP. The scanning on the Libre reader on the other hand is a real breeze!

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
I have a samsung cheapo A10
It's not easy to scan, but I put up with it. But sometimes when I scan and get a reading, put phone down it tries to scan again.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Clearly since you phone works sometimes it has nfc. You can confirm this by going to settings and typing NFC in the search. I don't know what they meant by open.
NFC has it's own section in Connections on my Samsung A51, make sure the slider is showing blue for it to be on / open.

When you tap on the NFC section it open up a animation on the use of it over a device.

dLZuYqz.jpg

mike944

I get lots of failed readings on my phone. I actually think the app may be freezing in the background. I've found if I open the librelink app then go to the menu and hit Home then take a reading they're much more likely to be successful. Annoying but seems to work

Reactions: DJC3

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I get lots of failed readings on my phone. I actually think the app may be freezing in the background. I've found if I open the librelink app then go to the menu and hit Home then take a reading they're much more likely to be successful. Annoying but seems to work
@h884
Ah.
Ummmm.....
I have (nearly) always opened the LibreLink App and gone to the Home screen before scanning.
I know that it CAN work if you just scan whatever App is in the foreground but it seems more reliable if the LibreLink App is in the foreground.

It worked well with my Samsung Galaxy S5, and is now working fine with my Realme 6 Pro.

Perhaps this is worth checking by those who are having problems?

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have an IPhone 7 and have the same issues so it’s perhaps more to do with the app than the phone. I agree, It’s very annoying.

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, possibly check if you have any other apps or features which might be trying to use nfc as I think was suggested above. I have Samsungs and two different models have worked fine with the official app eventhough neither were on the official approved list. I have seen many posts about the app freezing or having glitches so it might not be your phone... I now mainly use the diabox app as I prefer it, but scan with LibreLink once every 8 hours to be able to share the data with my clinic. I've also read people have fewer issues with the reader, which might be a short term option for you?