Libre 2 sensors

Steveco65

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been type 1 diabetic for 45 years and started to use the Libre 2 sensors a couple of years ago. I think they are well worth the cost although I think it is expensive. I went for my annual retinopathy check the other week and was very pleased that for the first time ever, there has been no signs of any retina damage and as a result of having two consecutive clear results I now only need to be checked every two years so thats some good news. My current A1c levels are 43 mmol 6.1% and I am still learning more about how my glucose levels fluctuate especially overnight, so hoping for even better control in the future.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been type 1 diabetic for 45 years and started to use the Libre 2 sensors a couple of years ago. I think they are well worth the cost although I think it is expensive.
Do you live in the UK? If so, I think you should be able to get it funded as a T1.

• Agree
Reactions: EllieM

Steveco65

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I live in the UK but unfortunately it's a bit of a lottery whether the NHS will fund the tech. I am supporting a campaign by Diabetes UK to make the tech available free to those who want it. My local MP has promised to raise the benefits of using tech to control diabetes Iin Parliament and how it would help reduce the onset of complications caused by poor control, so I'm hoping it will be funded for all in the future.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Yes I live in the UK but unfortunately it's a bit of a lottery whether the NHS will fund the tech. I am supporting a campaign by Diabetes UK to make the tech available free to those who want it. My local MP has promised to raise the benefits of using tech to control diabetes Iin Parliament and how it would help reduce the onset of complications caused by poor control, so I'm hoping it will be funded for all in the future.
My understanding is that NICE recommended that it should be funded for all over a year ago. Maybe you should ask again? Do you attend a clinic at a hospital or are you looked after by your GP?

And congrats on your excellent hba1c.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

It is no longer a lottery. They should give it to you no questions asked. Anyone having problems drop Kartha S Par the co diabetes lead in England a Tweet. He actively wants to know of anyone still having difficulties and will sort. @parthaskar on Twitter.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I don't know where you live but when I first mentioned the libre to my don't she refused to give it initially but I hounded her throughout the appointment and pointed out that my son used it and his blood glucose levels have improved. Eventually she gave in and I was given libre 2. Nice has approved dexcom G6 be available to all diabetics on pump therapy. The G6 will work on the Tandem pump and Omnipod 5. I recently had been upgraded to omnipod dash and in the coming weeks I will be on the omnipod 5 along with Dexcom G6.