Libre 2 sesnor and contact sports

mikeyb82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I currently attend Brazilian Ju Jitsu classes and keep losing my Libre 2 sensors. This is becoming increasingly frustrating as you can imagine. My question is, does anyone know of any good methods or straps to secure it during contact sports? I keep purchasing items off rhe Internet and nothing is working as of yet.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have you tried putting your sensor in an alternative location?
Whilst Abbott only support them on the upper arm, I know lots of people put their sensor else where such as on their chest or abdomen. Maybe you can find somewhere less likely to get knocked.

• Agree
Reactions: Antje77

mikeyb82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you tried putting your sensor in an alternative location?
Whilst Abbott only support them on the upper arm, I know lots of people put their sensor else where such as on their chest or abdomen. Maybe you can find somewhere less likely to get knocked.
I have considered it, after a quick Google I was put off due to Abbott saying they are only tested for the arm.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I currently attend Brazilian Ju Jitsu classes and keep losing my Libre 2 sensors. This is becoming increasingly frustrating as you can imagine. My question is, does anyone know of any good methods or straps to secure it during contact sports? I keep purchasing items off rhe Internet and nothing is working as of yet.
I use large transparent overpatches, Hypafix Transparent.
I cut squares of about 4x4 inches so my sensor is very firmly stuck to my arm.

1712822986248.png

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
I use regular tapes (which are used to treat injuries). It turns out to be very cheap and can be used in case of injury. Is your sensor just firing or is it being knocked down by your partner? I usually just ask not to hit me in the sensor when boxing.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I have considered it, after a quick Google I was put off due to Abbott saying they are only tested for the arm.
I understand your concern but how is abbot going to know , I’ve been putting mine in other places than the relatively small area abbot suggest and have never had a problem . I’ve checked against a finger prick and results are good as are my Hb1ac results, also whenever I’ve requested a replacement from abbot I’ve never been asked where I actually put my sensor. My reason for changing was I kept knocking sensors off on door frames , since I’ve changed position it’s no longer a problem .I will say I’m a bit of a rebel at times plus I have to live with diabetes forever so I will do things that help me , I don’t just do them on a whim there is normally some sort of system involved e.g testing against a finger prick , but I have found that by “ experimenting “ it makes life with diabetes a lot easier

jester a

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am using the Libra which I have nicknamed Tilly just for me. I always put in on my are but alternate sights

Charlotte73

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
DIABETES, I should be kicking it’s **** but it’s got a hold on me and can’t get out.
Do you think it would be ok to put it on my boob so my bra keeps it in place? I know it says only arms but I’m fed up of paying £48 every 2 weeks for them to fall off and call Abbott again. In 6+ months I’ve only had 2 stick for the 14 days

NoBSDiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
On Amazon you can get patches that include a hard plastic cover as well to protect from knocks, they work really well and you can just replace the overcover if it comes loose.

nibbleshs

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I use "Not Just a Patch" over patches and Kovoq Hard Shell covers. That way I can change the securing patch without dislodging the sensor. I haven't had a problem since using these

laurafowler

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Do you think it would be ok to put it on my boob so my bra keeps it in place? I know it says only arms but I’m fed up of paying £48 every 2 weeks for them to fall off and call Abbott again. In 6+ months I’ve only had 2 stick for the 14 days
HI, you can buy some sticky wipes from Amazon called Skin Tac which really helps. You wipe the area you are putting your sensor and when you skin become tacky you add your sensor and I find mine have not fallen off since using this.

HarveyD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes

HarveyD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi Mikeyb82,
I got some covers with arm straps a while ago from Etsy, but I'm sure if you put into Google "Libre 2 Sensor covers" you'll get a lot more choice.
By the way, sensors are available free on NHS prescription, so, why are you paying for them?

Good luck with the Ju Jitsu and finding the covers you need.

• Optimistic
Reactions: barbarapreston

fkarno

Get yourself a 10 metre roll of 10cm wide MEFIX self-adhesive fabric tape - if you have an understanding GP he will prescribe it for you, otherwise it will cost you between £6 and £8. This stuff is made by Molnlyke (it has an Umlaut on the O but the pharmacist will tell you how to pronounce it). Stick the sensor in its normal place and then take two full turns of the Mefix right around your arm, don't make it so tight that you cut off the blood supply, and leave it in place for the full fortnight. I cut my own 8cm x 5cm patches from narrower 5cm tape. These easily last a fortnight and in a whole year no Libre2 sensor has ever come off.

fkarno

Hi Mikeyb82,
I got some covers with arm straps a while ago from Etsy, but I'm sure if you put into Google "Libre 2 Sensor covers" you'll get a lot more choice.
By the way, sensors are available free on NHS prescription, so, why are you paying for them?

Good luck with the Ju Jitsu and finding the covers you need.
The OP wrote "I keep purchasing items off rhe Internet and nothing is working as of yet." There was no suggestion that he was paying for his sensors, and he does not sound daft.

fkarno

No, it would not be OK because the sensor is not designed to work there accurately and also because you will be making it a larger target. See my suggestion to the OP for covering the sensor in its normal place with a double layer of Molnlycke Mefix tape. Why are you paying for your sensors when they are available on prescription?.

HarveyD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
The OP wrote "I keep purchasing items off rhe Internet and nothing is working as of yet." There was no suggestion that he was paying for his sensors, and he does not sound daft.
Hi fkarno,
I got him confused with Charlotte73 I'll apologise to him. And just for the record fkarno, I NEVER suggested he was daft.

HarveyD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi mikeyb82,
I apologise for making a mistake regarding free NHS Prescriptions for Libre 2 Sensors, I confused your post with the post of Charlotte73.

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I swim daily, not the same impact as BJJ, but use a Libre armband designed to protect the sensor and keep it in place, not sure if it’s got enough stretch in it on arm for BJJ arm movements in muscle itself. But I have noticed others in the pool with sensors…one woman wore hers on the front of her shoulder probably below the clavicle inside bra strap height….might be displaced as gi pulled! Another man in pool wore his much higher on top of shoulder. I have heard of others who wear them on front of hips, sort of in area one injects insulin. Perhaps you could trial the position by using an old sensor ( with pin chopped off) held in place by methods suggested here, rather than a real one, to see which stays in place and is comfortable…or swop sparing partners to one who favours a different position!