1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1 Libre A1c

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by conniecar, May 7, 2022.

1. conniecar

conniecar Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I’ve recently had the best results ever recording on my Libre and blood monitor for staying in range, with the help of a fabulous nurse. So without bothering her…… why is my A1c ‘stuck’ and not coming down? It’s not very motivating. She’s set my range between 5 and 8.5 and I’m managing that 70% of the time. I know there’s a time span for overall readings, but in the past when I’ve managed to get my tests in good order I’ve been rewarded with better A1c’s? I’ve been checking for about a month.

#1 conniecar, May 7, 2022 at 7:48 AM
    Last edited: May 7, 2022
  2. In Response

In Response Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hba1c is an average over three months so you will not see much movement after one month.
    Instead of focusing on something slow to move, I would focus on the great work you have done improving your time in range
    I have found the hba1c on Libre is very inaccurate. It uses a different method of calculation than blood tests and can be deceiving so have to decided to ignore it and focus on TiR.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. conniecar

conniecar Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thank you! It’s been doing my head in!

4. Marie 2

Marie 2 LADA · Well-Known Member

Libre for me reads about 1 mmol higher a lot of the time. When I used to only wear a Libre even though I would account for that and dose accordingly I ended up always being higher? When I switched to a Dexcom that you can calibrate, my A1c went down. Obviously even though I thought I was allowing for it enough I really wasn't some of the time? I wear both now as I snorkel and the Libre reads underwater, and while sometimes the newer Libres are more accurate they still will read off a good amount of the time. I compare my Dexcom to my Libre before getting in the water to get an idea. But in the water I mostly look at my trending pattern on the Libre, because when I get out, it be within 1/3 mmol or 1 mmol of my Dexcom. My Dexcom I calibrate to within 1/3 mmol of accuracy.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook