Libre Advice

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have successfully procured 2 Libre sensors (£35 a piece at Superdrug).

These are my first and I have 2 questions:

1) I’ve read a lot on the forum about delaying activation. What is the optimum timeframe between application and activating?

2) Also recall seeing something about relative timing between scanning the Libre and finger pricking for comparison. Should I do both simultaneously or should there be a gap between the two?

Thanks in advance.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
15 min delay
Ive always left mine on 24 hrs min before activating

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
In my experience, I have found around 36 hours to be a good time to activate, but I make sure this coincides with my first overnight. The first few hours can be hit and miss with me, no matter how long I leave the activation, so when I am asleep for the first time I am not really bothered. By morning it has righted itself. (won't be the same answer from insulin users)

As for time lag, it seems to vary between person to person, and also in the same person. I tend to leave between 10 and 15 minutes between a test and a scan. However, when I download my 15 minute log and analyse it, it can be longer or shorter than this. I know this isn't helpful! It doesn't seem to be an exact science. I think it also depends how high or low the blood glucose is at the time, and whether it is moving rapidly up or down. I'm afraid it is trial and error! But taking account of meter inaccuracy and those sort of things, you can usually calculate an average of how much higher or lower it is reading over a period of a few days.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @Boo1979 and @Bluetit1802 suspected it might be a ‘depends’ answer.

Going to be very interested in the data.

Enjoy! I am a part time user, but find one is invaluable when I'm on holiday, especially as we go away 6 times a year, a week each time in holiday cottages. No more wondering what's happening when we are out all day, no need to test when eating out etc etc. I love analysing the data. I use the Freestyle app on my PC so I can see it properly. Other than one very wild one, all the rest have been consistent although reading a bit low - not drastically. Maybe averaging half a mmol/l.

One tip, if it is possible for you, ask someone to attach it for you. I find they stick better that way. None of my 10 have fallen off. It isn't as easy trying to do it on yourself with one hand.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Enjoy! I am a part time user, but find one is invaluable when I'm on holiday, especially as we go away 6 times a year, a week each time in holiday cottages. No more wondering what's happening when we are out all day, no need to test when eating out etc etc. I love analysing the data. I use the Freestyle app on my PC so I can see it properly. Other than one very wild one, all the rest have been consistent although reading a bit low - not drastically. Maybe averaging half a mmol/l.

One tip, if it is possible for you, ask someone to attach it for you. I find they stick better that way. None of my 10 have fallen off. It isn't as easy trying to do it on yourself with one hand.

Thanks. I’m not planning on being a regular user either. I’m very interested to see what’s going on at times when I’m not testing. Have to wait to attach it as I have an MRI scan today and can’t wear it for that.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. I’m not planning on being a regular user either.

Yeah, yeah.
You say that now.
Just wait for the profound sense of loss and worrit that sweeps over you as the first sensor expires... ;)

Seriously though, they are a fab tool. Just don’t fixate on the number accuracy (because that will just make you annoyed at discrepancies). Instead, focus on the graph line, the ups and down and the speed of those ups and downs.

Like bluetit, I find them most useful when away from home and outside my own kitchen. Holidays. Work trips. Etc.

I also find that it is much easier to exert self control knowing I am going to have to watch the results on the screen.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'ver found that I have to wait 48 hours between insertion and activation. Otherwise it registers rather dramatic lows overnight, especially if I sleep on my sensor arm.:banghead: After that it's fine! In general most of mine have read lower than finger pricks, but patterns are similar - though obviously mch more detailed.

Robbity
Robbity

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I activate mine straight away, but I never was good at deferred gratification. My preference was confirmed when I put one on, and because the sensor hadn't gone in properly, it didn't work. Imagine that happening after 24 hours, I'd be so annoyed.

I can understand the argument for waiting before activating, but I like to ceremoniously remove the previous one, make sure the skin is happy underneath, before applying a new one. So I'm an activate now person.

jlarsson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mods who selectively modify posts for explicit language that isn't explicit
I activate mine straight away, but I never was good at deferred gratification. My preference was confirmed when I put one on, and because the sensor hadn't gone in properly, it didn't work. Imagine that happening after 24 hours, I'd be so annoyed.

I can understand the argument for waiting before activating, but I like to ceremoniously remove the previous one, make sure the skin is happy underneath, before applying a new one. So I'm an activate now person.
Just do what I do, alternate arms. :)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks all. Sensor ow successfully applied. Surprised that it didn’t hurt at all - I’m a big wuss about needles. Will wait to activate but already getting impatient!

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My first sensor is due to expire tomorrow around 11 am So far i have found it useful especially the arrow indicators letting me know if I am steady falling or rising

Anyhoo; do most folks simply wait until sensor expires then put a new one on a different arm of course. Or do folks tend to put one on the day before, and just not activate it, until the first one expires??

Any thoughts would be appreciated

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I do the latter. Actually two days at the moment. My sensor runs out on Saturday mornings, I put the new one on Thursday morning.
HTH

Reactions: smc4761

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Took your advice Barry and applied it earlier tonight. It is so simple to apply and no pain whatsoever.

I can only wish that this will be rolled out quickly to all those type 1 that want it. Hopefully it will make managing their diabetes that much easier