Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Tickled.Pink ,

Another thought.. Your daughter wouldn't have one of those wallet style phone cases which keep bank cards on the screen cover perchance.?
Flipping the screen protector/cover the back of the device with a contactless card in the way, may interfere with the NFC?

Tickled.Pink

Hi @Tickled.Pink ,

Another thought.. Your daughter wouldn't have one of those wallet style phone cases which keep bank cards on the screen cover perchance.?
Flipping the screen protector/cover the back of the device with a contactless card in the way, may interfere with the NFC?

No, she doesn’t. She has a Gear 4 case and screen protector. I’ve tried everything, and nothing works. I’ve come to the conclusion the NFC tag in her phone has stopped working.
Interesting thing though: I deleted my QR app on my 8 for a test, and the LibreLink app still scans my daughter’s sensor, even though there is no other scan app on my phone. Looks like the LibreLink app is enough on its own.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No, she doesn’t. She has a Gear 4 case and screen protector. I’ve tried everything, and nothing works. I’ve come to the conclusion the NFC tag in her phone has stopped working.
Interesting thing though: I deleted my QR app on my 8 for a test, and the LibreLink app still scans my daughter’s sensor, even though there is no other scan app on my phone. Looks like the LibreLink app is enough on its own.

You daughter doesn't have "Apple Pay" set up, perchance?

Found this, which may (or not) help. I realy hope you find a solution with your daughter's phone. Could be some sort of security issue kicking into play?
https://developer.apple.com/documentation/corenfc/adding_support_for_background_tag_reading

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I have both the iPhone 7 and iPhone 11, I have no issues scanning my libre sensors with both phones. However iphone 11 takes a while longer to scan. I do sort of move the nfc part of the phone around the sensor until it scans. I think you need to get Apple to look at the nfc on your daughter’s phone. Libre link is enough just to scan the sensor. Has a full reboot helped at all? Like restarting your daughter’s phone?

Tickled.Pink

You daughter doesn't have "Apple Pay" set up, perchance?

Found this, which may (or not) help. I realy hope you find a solution with your daughter's phone. Could be some sort of security issue kicking into play?
https://developer.apple.com/documentation/corenfc/adding_support_for_background_tag_reading

Thank you.
No, she doesn’t have Apple Pay set up as she’s only 12. Thanks for the link. It’s none of those issues, although I’m not sure what it means by:

The device has never been unlocked.

We installed the Librelink app on her brother’s iPhone 8, and that worked immediately too, like on mine. Just won’t scan on hers ☹️

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you.
No, she doesn’t have Apple Pay set up as she’s only 12. Thanks for the link. It’s none of those issues, although I’m not sure what it means by:

We installed the Librelink app on her brother’s iPhone 8, and that worked immediately too, like on mine. Just won’t scan on hers ☹️
Maybe it’s time for a visit to a Genius Bar or the online Apple help and check if the nfc is actually working on her phone. Sometimes they can get some idea of the issue with the online chat diagnosis

Tickled.Pink

Hello, I have both the iPhone 7 and iPhone 11, I have no issues scanning my libre sensors with both phones. However iphone 11 takes a while longer to scan. I do sort of move the nfc part of the phone around the sensor until it scans. I think you need to get Apple to look at the nfc on your daughter’s phone. Libre link is enough just to scan the sensor. Has a full reboot helped at all? Like restarting your daughter’s phone?

Thank you for replying.
Yes, I have tried rebooting, but still nothing. It really does seem that the NFC tag has stopped working. I may have to get it looked at by Apple.
Thanks for your help.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you.

I'm sort of thinking it could be an "overzealous" security issue on the device In question.
In other words the "drawbridge" is up regarding the Libre. I feel it's not a case of can't read it. More like a set up for "best not."

I apreciate your daughter is only 12. I worked in retail for a while & seen younger kids with bank cards & phone payment.
Hence my asking. Times change... I thought I was "loaded" at that age with a pound note... ;)

Tickled.Pink

I'm sort of thinking it could be an "overzealous" security issue on the device In question.
In other words the "drawbridge" is up regarding the Libre. I feel it's not a case of can't read it. More like a set up for "best not."

I apreciate your daughter is only 12. I worked in retail for a while & seen younger kids with bank cards & phone payment.
Hence my asking. Times change... I thought I was "loaded" at that age with a pound note... ;)

Ha, my daughter never spends her money, only mine! ;)
How would I tell if the ‘drawbridge’ is up? I did download another scan app, as a test, and it wouldn’t work either. Couldn’t scan a barcode.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ha, my daughter never spends her money, only mine! ;)
How would I tell if the ‘drawbridge’ is up? I did download another scan app, as a test, and it wouldn’t work either. Couldn’t scan a barcode.

Again, appreciating the iPhone7 belongs to a 12 year old.
Guessing again..
I'm wondering if the security for the QR reader & NFC tag scanning is too "strict?"
Quite rightly so, you wouldn't wish your kid to access dodgy websites..
A lot of these devices have a default settings to protect from the aformentioned.

My reasoning is your daughter's phone could be ignoring the NFC scanning of the Libre due to not unlocking this security feature.?
I'm not conviced yet, that you have broken hardware?

Tickled.Pink

Again, appreciating the iPhone7 belongs to a 12 year old.
Guessing again..
I'm wondering if the security for the QR reader & NFC tag scanning is too "strict?"
Quite rightly so, you wouldn't wish your kid to access dodgy websites..
A lot of these devices have a default settings to protect from the aformentioned.

My reasoning is your daughter's phone could be ignoring the NFC scanning of the Libre due to not unlocking this security feature.?
I'm not conviced yet, that you have broken hardware?

Ah, hadn’t thought of that.
I have turned off parental controls and will try to scan again when she returns from school later.
Thanks for helping.

Tickled.Pink

I used an iPhone 7 to scan (no reader). I downloaded the librelink app but had nothing whatsoever to do with QR anything.

I wondered if you left it too long after activating it with the reader before using the iphone but if that was the case the iPhone 8 you used even later wouldn’t have worked either.

Thank you.
Yes, did exactly the same as with my phone. Made no difference. Worked ok with son’s phone too as a test.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I waited until after the first hour after applying a new sensor, then tried scanning with the 7.

If you started the sensor with the scanner then you have to scan with the phone withing the 1st hour else the phone will not scan!

Tickled.Pink

If you started the sensor with the scanner then you have to scan with the phone withing the 1st hour else the phone will not scan!

Thank you, but you don’t. I’ve been using my iPhone 8 to scan my daughter for months now, and it doesn’t matter when you use your phone for the first time, as long as you use the reader first. You can scan with your phone hours or days later.
My daughter’s phone won’t scan anything at all, not just the libre sensor.
Hoping it is the parental controls stopping it. Trying again when she is back from school.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Thank you, but you don’t. I’ve been using my iPhone 8 to scan my daughter for months now, and it doesn’t matter when you use your phone for the first time, as long as you use the reader first. You can scan with your phone hours or days later.
My daughter’s phone won’t scan anything at all, not just the libre sensor.
Hoping it is the parental controls stopping it. Trying again when she is back from school.

I have learned something new today. Is this a new thing with the scanning on the phone?

Tickled.Pink

I have learned something new today. Is this a new thing with the scanning on the phone?

No, we’ve been doing it for months. You need an iPhone 7 or above though (not sure which Android system). 6 and below have no NFC capability. Best to start each new sensor with the reader, then the phone. If you start with the phone, the reader won’t work for the duration of that particular sensor. Already been caught out by that one :(