Libre and swimming

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
I've tried swimming once with a libre and it fell off the next day although I had only been in the water for 10 mins. Abbott replaced it but it's made me quite nervous about trying again. What do people use to prevent this happening?

Has anyone used these https://www.zuckerschmuck.com/english/freestyle-libre/? Do they work?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I put a square of Opsite adhesive film, over it before going in the water. Works like a charm.

Then I just leave the tape on, because I take a dip nearly every day (hot tub).

One thing to watch though is that the tape sticks to the sensor far better than it sticks to my arm, so changing the tape is a tricky business if you don't want to pull the sensor off with it.

As an alternative you could try one of those arm band things that people use to hold their ipods when at the gym.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
One thing to watch though is that the tape sticks to the sensor far better than it sticks to my arm, so changing the tape is a tricky business if you don't want to pull the sensor off with it.

I've heard of people cutting out a "Libre sized" piece of paper and using that as a barrier between the adhesive tape and the plastic part of the sensor.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Wow, that site you've linked to looks great, @tigger !

I swim 4-5 times per week for about 20-25 minutes, and sometimes have a 5-minute steam in the steam room while I'm there.

I haven't yet had a sensor fall off. I don't stick anything to it, nor do I use any kind of product on my skin beneath it, apart from the alcohol wipe which I rub on and let dry completely before my sensor is applied.

I don't apply my sensors myself - that's my husband's job, bless him.

Oh just to be on the safe side I don't use soap or cream or anything on that bit of me.

I think perhaps I've been very fortunate. The one sensor I had back in early June that seemed to be peeling itself away from the backing was sorted with gaffer tape for the remaining two days of its life. But even when I took it off it still needed some effort to unstick, so perhaps it would have been okay without the gaffer tape!

:)

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
Thanks for all the advice. I'll give it another go then. Yes @Snapsy it does look rather cool. I'm slightly tempted on those grounds alone ;)

izzyj09

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I swim for two hours with mine in and its fine ! I just tape it over with rock tape H2o kind and it's absolutely fine just one strip works for me I've never gone without the tape so I'm not sure whether you were just unlikely

GordonFr

I swim at club level so it is high exersion and strech on my arms.
My first sensor fell off after my first swim training session after 20mins. I had it covered with Opsite Flexfix, but it still came away.

However elsewhjere on thios site someone has suggested using a sports sock. I took that a little step further and cut up an old Neoprene sock and so far it works a treat over the top of sensor and tape.
(I also use a little of the pull-off strip from the tape for over the sensor to stop it adhering)