Libre app without reader

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

If someone has a freestyle libre sensor but does not have the reader, will it still work with just the app? So stick it to arm and use app to activate?

Thankyou

Reactions: Carlton1512

Carlton1512

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When your diabetes misbehaves for no apparent reason.
Hi

If someone has a freestyle libre sensor but does not have the reader, will it still work with just the app? So stick it to arm and use app to activate?

Thankyou
Yes it will work fine with just the app. You can start/activate the sensor with the app to, so no need for the official reader.

Reactions: Fenn

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I have downloaded libralink but havent used it yet as I have been using the reader so cant review it yet, I believe there are alternatives

K

Knikki

There are a couple of apps you can use with Libre sensor HOWEVER I am not sure which if any of them you can use for starting the sensor.

For Android the most common ones used are Glimp (can be downloaded from the Play Store and xDrip (down loaded from GitHub) both are free and both can be used to calibrate the graphs. Have used both and prefer the layout and usability of xDrip. Both are free so it is case of try and see which you like.

There is also Diabetes M which is tracker and management software and I think there is an add on which will read the sensor, not tried it so no idea what its like.

On IOS there is Spike, very similar to Glimp and xDrip as I don't have an IOS device have never used it.

D

Deleted Account

I have used both LibreLink and Glimp on my Android phone.
You can start and read the sensor from both of these without using the Reader.

LibreLink is the official app which uses a proprietary algorithm to convert the values it reads from interstitial fluid to a BG reading. Being proprietary, this algorithm is not available to free app creators so they have to write their own.
In my experience, the algorithm used by Glimp is more accurate. It may just be me, it may be the added value of being to calibrate against finger prick readings (rather than assuming the factory default calibration suits everyone) or it may be the last sensor I used was special. However, you can use both Glimp and LibreLink at the same time and take your pick against your finger prick.
That reminds me, Don't Forget to Finger Prick. The Libre is NOT a replacement it is another tool.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have used both LibreLink and Glimp on my Android phone.
You can start and read the sensor from both of these without using the Reader.
I use both at the moment, but Glimp doesn't start the sensor so I have to use LibreLink for that.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow! Just Wow! This thread is so good. Thanks @Fenn for starting it. Thanks also @helensaramay @Antje77 @Knikki @Muneeb @Carlton1512 for your replies. I am hopeless with technology but following this thread has helped me to my first 12 hours using a libre sensor. I have been meaning to buy myself a libre kit for ages but have been put off by the cost. It's so much cheaper if I can just get a sensor occasionally.

Now I understand why my most recent HbA1c (34) is so good as compared to my FBG. It's those lows of 3.6 averaging it all out. I never even noticed I was having BGs less than 4.5 as I have never had one that low with a finger prick test.

Thanks everyone for your clear instructions on how to use the App. You have converted a Luddite and brought her into the 21st century. So happy, really can't believe I managed to do that :)

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow! Just Wow! This thread is so good. Thanks @Fenn for starting it. Thanks also @helensaramay @Antje77 @Knikki @Muneeb @Carlton1512 for your replies. I am hopeless with technology but following this thread has helped me to my first 12 hours using a libre sensor. I have been meaning to buy myself a libre kit for ages but have been put off by the cost. It's so much cheaper if I can just get a sensor occasionally.

Now I understand why my most recent HbA1c (34) is so good as compared to my FBG. It's those lows of 3.6 averaging it all out. I never even noticed I was having BGs less than 4.5 as I have never had one that low with a finger prick test.

Thanks everyone for your clear instructions on how to use the App. You have converted a Luddite and brought her into the 21st century. So happy, really can't believe I managed to do that :)
It is such an amazing tool, I keep reading about it being innacurate but mine is spot on accurate everytime I have also finger prick tested, imagine how useful this would be to newly diagnosed people trying to work out what food does :)

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is such an amazing tool, I keep reading about it being innacurate but mine is spot on accurate everytime I have also finger prick tested, imagine how useful this would be to newly diagnosed people trying to work out what food does :)
Yes, it's so encouraging too. I have learnt such alot in just 12 hours! If you only test before meals and at 1 hour and 2 hours you miss such a lot of useful info. My spike after dinner last night was at 1 hour 30 m- 1 hour 40 m after eating. With finger pricking only I wouldn't have known that my spike was above 7.8 ( it was 8.4).

I really do think that CGMs should be available on the NHS for all T1s, especially while they are new and need to work out and understand stuff like the 'honeymoon period' and the 'pizza effect' . New T2s would benefit too but I guess that's too much to ask.

Like you, my readings have so far matched almost exactly with my finger prick tests too. :)

Last edited:
K

Knikki

When Libre works it is great but it is more useful for working out Trends as for when your BSL may or may not go up or down, as for the "inaccuracy" they can be hit or miss as an example I have had one saying 15.5 but finger prick said 10.1:confused: but usually I find it to be 1 - 1.5 point difference between bloods and Libre so I can easily live with that. :)

Reactions: zand
D

Deleted Account

Yes, it's so encouraging too. I have learnt such alot in just 12 hours! If you only test before meals and at 1 hour and 2 hours you miss such a lot of useful info. My spike after dinner last night was at 1 hour 30 m- 1 hour 40 m after eating. With finger pricking only I wouldn't have known that my spike was above 7.8 ( it was 8.4).
Bear in mind people without diabetes also see spikes.
These are the graphs of a student without diabetes doing student things (drinking, eating pizza, etc.) he gets spikes up to about 9 but they fall soon.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd double check those lows with a finger prick, Libre is known for exaggerating the highs and lows a bit in many people.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd double check those lows with a finger prick, Libre is known for exaggerating the highs and lows a bit in many people.
Thank you. Well the one in the evening was right. The finger prick test was only 0.1 different...it's just that I wouldn't normally test at that time, so I have never noticed my BG go low mid evening. There's no way I am waking at 3 am to test though. I love my sleep too much lol.

Reactions: Antje77

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Sadly my phone does not have NFC so can only read all your posts with envy till I can replace my phone.

It's a pity the sensors do not link by blue tooth.

K

Knikki

Sadly my phone does not have NFC so can only read all your posts with envy till I can replace my phone.

It's a pity the sensors do not link by blue tooth.

Well you can but you need another bit of kit either a MiaoMiao or Blucon both of which are transmitters that use blue tooth.
I use the MiaoMiao that connects to both a phone and watch and link in with xDrip.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yes, it's so encouraging too. I have learnt such alot in just 12 hours

Lol, Zand!

Your excitement reminds me of my first week with it.

I felt exactly the same - being able to see for the first time ever what was actually happening in those missing hours between strip tests, instead of just inferring or assuming or guessing, was so liberating.

People chuck around phrases like, "game changing" and "life changing" too casually, but I really think libre and cgm deserve it.

Enjoy your journey with it!

Reactions: zand

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lol, Zand!

Your excitement reminds me of my first week with it.

I felt exactly the same - being able to see for the first time ever what was actually happening in those missing hours between strip tests, instead of just inferring or assuming or guessing, was so liberating.

People chuck around phrases like, "game changing" and "life changing" too casually, but I really think libre and cgm deserve it.

Enjoy your journey with it!
I have zapped my sensor about 65 times in 24 hours!! Too much?? :hilarious: As well as checking on my meals I am going to use it to properly monitor the effects of exercise on my BGs as anything other than a slow walk tends to put my BGs up...or maybe not? Maybe I just test at the wrong time with the finger pricker? Watch this space lol.

Yep I'm in love with my libre :D

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have zapped my sensor about 65 times in 24 hours!! Too much??

Nah, not too much, that's about standard in the first week, just because we can!

I was easily zapping into the 60s first week - was on holiday for a week, spent it trotting around the Edinburgh Festival - the revelation for me about how darned useful these are was the first time I spotted a sudden drop trending towards 4, and, instead of having a hypo, had some sweets and didn't have a hypo. As a T1, that was a big deal for me - normally I wouldn't have known about the hypo till it arrived.

T1s and T2s will have different takes on it, but you'll likely find your own revelation with it at some point.

anything other than a slow walk tends to put my BGs up...or maybe not?

Indeed... You just don't know at the moment whether it's a "maybe not", but libre gives you a way of reviewing hitherto strongly held assumptions in the light of much more evidence, and then confirming them or changing them. I've changed a lot of my T1 management just by being able to see more stuff.

Can't recall if you contributed to it or not, but, if you missed the thread, @maglil55 has a lengthy thread at the link below, narrating her experiences of libre from a T2 point of view, lots of useful stuff in there:

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/life-with-libre.118450/

Reactions: wobbles and zand