Libre choices.

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love my Libre, the convenience of constant monitoring, far less finger pricking and all that goes with it.

But it could be much better and some of the things drive me nuts - as with any relationship.
After having a few come off - skin tac wipe fixed it.
Low readings - seems to be solved by making sure I put into the less muscle areas of my arms.

But that doesn't resolve the ones that just stop working, or read low for a day longer than you had anticipated so you wasted a day (or £7 + the cost of strips that day). And my lastest problem - the motionless drop. So if I sit and watch a film and I have not just eaten, over the 90mins by BG according to Libre goes to about 4.3 but if I just get up and go to the drinks cupboard and back my BG can easily go up .5 - and that isn't waiting 10mins. I now have to wander around for 5mins if I want to be sure of my 1hour and 2hour post meal spikes... As I say - these things could be better.

So what other choices are there - what do other people use (other than finger pricking I know that is an option). What are people looking at coming down stream (apple watch, fit bit)? I am keen to have a CGM but one that I could wear less (14 day cycles are longer than I want now).

Any thoughts?

Reactions: zbluebirdz

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
There's been a few threads mentioning SugarBEAT.

www.nemauramedical.com/sugarbeat/

They've just updated their news section to say they have completed development and expect to launch later in 2017 in the UK.

It's a patch which lasts for 24 hours. However, the technology involves using an electric current to suck some interstitial fluid out of the skin and measure it out of body. That worked so badly with glucowatch that it was withdrawn from market. Mind you, that was a few years ago now, so maybe the technology has moved on.

Reactions: zbluebirdz

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
There are a number of other emerging testing devices which are allegedly non invasive. That is no puncturing of the skin. There's Google's tear measuring contact lenses, a couple of mobile apps I believe measuring biometric pointers by infrared and other ways I don't understand but hope work out!

My DSN reckons finger pricking will seem laughable in 5 years time. Let's hope she's right.

Reactions: Bon83

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think that it is possible that the cgm market could go the same way as the mobile phone with better and better technology battling for us to choose them. Diabetes is big bucks alone and the desire to test ones bg levels is stretching beyond diabetic people - I think others (with plenty spare cash) are testing and monitoring for health purposes only. Personally I don't mind invasive that much - the libre could be more invasive for me - if it made it more accurate. Scanning is invaluable - when exercising it's much more convenient than stopping and finger pricking. However I have to use caution with the results and consider the time delay! I have read about the tear testing it sounded very interesting to be honest.