Libre Freestyle 3 App Compatibility With Redmi Note 90

TheGift73

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi,

My friends child has just been diagnosed with Type-1 and has now been fitted with a Libre Freestyle 2 sensor. However, they will be starting to use the Libre Freestyle 3 in 2 weeks, so need to know if the Redmi Note 90 (Android 12 OS) mobile will support this? If not, I have said that I will buy them the Pixel 6a, which I believe does support the Freestyle 3.

My friend is in a bit of a panic at the moment, as her daughter was only diagnosed a few days ago now, and everything is coming at her all at once, so I'd like to put her mind at piece, tech wise.

Any input for this would be appreciated.

Richard

• Friendly
Reactions: Antje77

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Ph I may be getting this my phone is an android was waiting till I got the sensor before checking>?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

My friends child has just been diagnosed with Type-1 and has now been fitted with a Libre Freestyle 2 sensor. However, they will be starting to use the Libre Freestyle 3 in 2 weeks, so need to know if the Redmi Note 90 (Android 12 OS) mobile will support this? If not, I have said that I will buy them the Pixel 6a, which I believe does support the Freestyle 3.

My friend is in a bit of a panic at the moment, as her daughter was only diagnosed a few days ago now, and everything is coming at her all at once, so I'd like to put her mind at piece, tech wise.

Any input for this would be appreciated.

Richard

Hi Richard,

You could do what I do regarding a quick check on compatibility? (Or used to..?) Go to the App Store, find the L3 app.it will give the option to instal or say something like “incompatible with your device..?”

But please, do not install it yet. Till the friend has possession of the L3 on the next prescription…..

I could be confusing it with Apple? I use Android on my phone But also an iPad, my old one lasted 10 years & funny enough, lost support during covid?!

The phones I acquire tend to be used, high end, out dated by a couple of years? At a cheap price.

I can appreciate your friend has a lot of “plates spinning.” I would advise, not to be to hasty parting with cash till confirmed the “Redmi” is incompatible & the L3 gets prescribed.. (the L3 if the friend happens to be in the UK. Is another story?)

Best wishes..

TheGift73

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Richard,

You could do what I do regarding a quick check on compatibility? (Or used to..?) Go to the App Store, find the L3 app.it will give the option to instal or say something like “incompatible with your device..?”

But please, do not install it yet. Till the friend has possession of the L3 on the next prescription…..

I could be confusing it with Apple? I use Android on my phone But also an iPad, my old one lasted 10 years & funny enough, lost support during covid?!

The phones I acquire tend to be used, high end, out dated by a couple of years? At a cheap price.

I can appreciate your friend has a lot of “plates spinning.” I would advise, not to be to hasty parting with cash till confirmed the “Redmi” is incompatible & the L3 gets prescribed.. (the L3 if the friend happens to be in the UK. Is another story?)

Best wishes..
Hi Jaylee,

Many thanks for the response.

I went to the Google App Store via my desktop browser to take a look at the Libre Freestyle app and it said that, 'This app is not available for your device', which is a Google Pixel Pro, running Android 13 and all the latest patches. However, when I go to the Play Store on my mobile, I can download it and start looking at the settings etc. I won't be using the sensor with this phone; just wanted to take a look at the app.

Seems strange as to why it would state on Google Play Store that my Pixel 6 Pro is compatible, yet it will install and work on my device when downloaded from the Play Store on my device rather than via the web portal for the Play Store.

Is there an up to date site where I can see all supported Android devices as the Sensor Compatibility Guide (unable to link as my post count is too low) on the main Freestyle Abbott site just resolves to a 403, so I can't see it?

I did find a PDF (no link due to post count too low), but it only covers the Libre Freestyle 2 and the Android devices listed are very out of date.

If the Redmi Note 9T (apologies, I wrote Redmi Note 90 in the original post as that is what I was told at the time) isn't compatible with the Libre Freestyle 3 (I am assuming that it should be as it has NFC and bluetooth 5.1 which is required for the Libre 3) I'll just buy them a Pixel 6a, as I have seen threads showing that people have used that device fine with the Libre 3

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Jaylee,

Many thanks for the response.

I went to the Google App Store via my desktop browser to take a look at the Libre Freestyle app and it said that, 'This app is not available for your device', which is a Google Pixel Pro, running Android 13 and all the latest patches. However, when I go to the Play Store on my mobile, I can download it and start looking at the settings etc. I won't be using the sensor with this phone; just wanted to take a look at the app.

Seems strange as to why it would state on Google Play Store that my Pixel 6 Pro is compatible, yet it will install and work on my device when downloaded from the Play Store on my device rather than via the web portal for the Play Store.

Is there an up to date site where I can see all supported Android devices as the Sensor Compatibility Guide (unable to link as my post count is too low) on the main Freestyle Abbott site just resolves to a 403, so I can't see it?

I did find a PDF (no link due to post count too low), but it only covers the Libre Freestyle 2 and the Android devices listed are very out of date.

If the Redmi Note 9T (apologies, I wrote Redmi Note 90 in the original post as that is what I was told at the time) isn't compatible with the Libre Freestyle 3 (I am assuming that it should be as it has NFC and bluetooth 5.1 which is required for the Libre 3) I'll just buy them a Pixel 6a, as I have seen threads showing that people have used that device fine with the Libre 3
The only thing I can suggest. Is use the actual device intended for use? (For the kid…):
I’m actually thinking of you. Don’t go “wild” splashing out on a piece of tech. That may not be needed..?

I’m not sure what relationship you have with your friend. But express financial:caution before one works out what does or does not work.. Hope this helps.

Reactions: TheGift73

TheGift73

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The only thing I can suggest. Is use the actual device intended for use? (For the kid…):
I’m actually thinking of you. Don’t go “wild” splashing out on a piece of tech. That may not be needed..?

I’m not sure what relationship you have with your friend. But express financial:caution before one works out what does or does not work.. Hope this helps.
Hi Jaylee,

Many thanks, and I will take the advice. Just wanted to try and get ahead of things for her as I know that she has enough to deal with at the moment, and tech isn't her forte and I know that it's going to cause her more stress so wanted to help if I could.

Appreciate the replies though.

Richard.

Jo_je

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi
My I-phone wasn't compatible and when I originally discussed with diabetes team I was given a monitor which is like a mobile phone- or you can get a sensor
Hope this helps
Wob

PIPPO_PIPPI

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Jailee.
Here the official Abbott's List of smartphones compatible with Libre 3.
Sorry but I don't see there the Redmi Note 90 or 9T, there is 9 PRO only...
Bye
Andrea

Attachments

• ART43193-006_rev-L-web.pdf
    253.7 KB · Views: 162
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
Why not phone Abbott on their 0800 number and ask them?
Abbott will not be able to help. The list of compatible phones are those they have actually tested and confirmed to work. However, that does not mean that others won't work.
I was concerned as well since I use a Sony Xperia - not compatible according to the list plus a real pain while using the Libre2 sensors. I installed the app and am now using the Libre3 sensors without issues. There has been a warning recently for users with Android 13 that alarms might not work reliably but I think this issue has been fixed already.

Get a Libre3 and try. Only get a new phone if you cannot use the Lire3 with your current phone.

• Agree
Reactions: Antje77 and Jaylee