Libre issue - advice please!

Honeyblossom

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My libre 2 sensor has been regularly reading higher than my finger prick test. This had resulted in two hypos. I know about the time lag due to interstitial fluid but usually when my sugar goes low my sensor reads lower than finger prick. I put on another sensor today but still the same. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
could i ask how far apart the readings are ? ....... if you regularly have libre readings far enough away from Blood sugar readings that would say to me to trust the test strip and act upon this ...... have you also spoken to the customer service people at Abbott ? ...it is a bit scary to have this happen but in my experience i always rely on blood test over libre if there is doubt about accuracy

Reactions: Honeyblossom

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have used a number of different CGMs and found the best ones for me were the ones which I could calibrate. Its as if the “man in the factory“ against who the Libre was factory calibrated had a different physiology to me somehow that meant the interstitial fluid readings ti blood glucose readings algorithm didn’t quite match.
Therefore, I found one of the unofficial Libre apps like xDrip or Shuggah which I could calibrate with my finger pricks rather than the finger pricks of the “man in the factor” gave me a more reliable readings.
i try to calibrate when my BG is flattish and at “normal levels”, For me this was the start and/or the end of the day. After the first day or two, the calibration only nudged the app readings up or down less than half a mmol/l but it gave me peace of mind during the rest of the day.

Reactions: Honeyblossom

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My libre 2 sensor has been regularly reading higher than my finger prick test. This had resulted in two hypos. I know about the time lag due to interstitial fluid but usually when my sugar goes low my sensor reads lower than finger prick. I put on another sensor today but still the same. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks
Are you suitably hydrated? It helps with me regarding correlation with interstitial fluid readings on a sensor. (Libre in my case.) & the fingerprick…

Honeyblossom

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
could i ask how far apart the readings are ? ....... if you regularly have libre readings far enough away from Blood sugar readings that would say to me to trust the test strip and act upon this ...... have you also spoken to the customer service people at Abbott ? ...it is a bit scary to have this happen but in my experience i always rely on blood test over libre if there is doubt about accuracy
Thanks for your reply...the readings were 1-2 mmol more so not loads but enough to not detect two hypos. I've always had it the other way round so it was a bit if a surprise. Luckily I'm very hypo. Perhaps I should let abbot know as my new sensor as of yesterday seems fine.

Reactions: himtoo

Honeyblossom

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have used a number of different CGMs and found the best ones for me were the ones which I could calibrate. Its as if the “man in the factory“ against who the Libre was factory calibrated had a different physiology to me somehow that meant the interstitial fluid readings ti blood glucose readings algorithm didn’t quite match.
Therefore, I found one of the unofficial Libre apps like xDrip or Shuggah which I could calibrate with my finger pricks rather than the finger pricks of the “man in the factor” gave me a more reliable readings.
i try to calibrate when my BG is flattish and at “normal levels”, For me this was the start and/or the end of the day. After the first day or two, the calibration only nudged the app readings up or down less than half a mmol/l but it gave me peace of mind during the rest of the day.
Thankyou - to be honest I'm not really sure what calibration is still lots to learn but interesting how different it seems to be for each person

• Agree
Reactions: aylalake

Honeyblossom

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you suitably hydrated? It helps with me regarding correlation with interstitial fluid readings on a sensor. (Libre in my case.) & the fingerprick…
That's a good thought, thanks will try to keep up the fluids and see if that helps