Libre on NHS, what's happening about Dexcom

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I disagree, the complications come from us being taught the rubbish we are, the lousy drugs we are given and lack of education. I'm sick of the sugar coated nonsense we are taught and read from our health organisations that are blatantly coining it in and making a career out of keeping us all needing to see them like we do with no re avail and reliant on dangerously high doses of insulin or other drugs like statins. Earlier reading on here someone on nearly 300 units a day. After using the libre free for two weeks I self funded for another 2 months. In the first week, picked up on low carb via dr Bernstein, within 3 weeks hb1ca predicted at 5.4 was a 8.6 last test 1 month before. I always carb counted, avoided fast food, ate whole gran low gi foods. would have one treat a week of take away. Lowest sugar/fat one there is. Very hard and wouldn't dream of eating any now. (I changed that not the libre that was accurate only some of the time meaning finger pricks are nessasary still)

A libre may help us get on the right track to start with but that's all it's good for. Showing us patterns that's when they are accurate enough. it will not stop the statistics of the people with our disease who are uneducated or just ignore what we have and just eat what they want and drink alcohol in the amounts that some diabetics do. I've witnessed this first, second and third hand in my life.
Whilst that's all well and good, and you're entitled to your opinion, I'm not sure what additional drugs you expect to assist with T1. Whilst development of solutions seems slow, we tend to forget that 100 years ago there was only just a cure, extracted initially from a dog. Recombinant DNA enabling the more effective analogues isn't a technique that existed in even the 1960s. I think your comment about lousy drugs is therefore a little unfair.

I'm not going to disagree with you on lack of education, and that the education that is given doesn't necessarily offer the best advice though.

I think that your final point is a little unreasonable though. Whilst there will always be those who don't care, changing the paradigm of how people observe themselves can make a big difference to the outcomes. As long as there is appropriate education given, the shift to Libre could well be a major change for a significant portion of those who currently find themselves in this situation.

Reactions: Chas C

Key_master_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Whilst that's all well and good, and you're entitled to your opinion, I'm not sure what additional drugs you expect to assist with T1. Whilst development of solutions seems slow, we tend to forget that 100 years ago there was only just a cure, extracted initially from a dog. Recombinant DNA enabling the more effective analogues isn't a technique that existed in even the 1960s. I think your comment about lousy drugs is therefore a little unfair.

I'm not going to disagree with you on lack of education, and that the education that is given doesn't necessarily offer the best advice though.

I think that your final point is a little unreasonable though. Whilst there will always be those who don't care, changing the paradigm of how people observe themselves can make a big difference to the outcomes. As long as there is appropriate education given, the shift to Libre could well be a major change for a significant portion of those who currently find themselves in this situation.

I wasn't on about insulins Tim, I was on about the other medications given when as type ones or type twos develope complications or cardiovascular problems that so many diabetics develope wether type 1 or 2 in later life due to being a diabetic and at higher risk. My info regarding that comes from dr Bernstein and if his information is correct which I believe it to be then this and the statins and other heart medication can be avoided. The only thing I mentioned regarding insulin was the dangerously high doses some people including myself were on whilst following the advised diets of carbs and low fat by our healthcare professionals. The overall point was that we are being fed the wrong information regarding diet in the first place. All watching what we eat, low fat balanced carbs, whole grains, fresh fruit, add the massive insulin doses these foods need because of spikes caused, then coming into complications later on in life mostly cardiovascular and dieing early.

I would like to apologise for my last comment as that was a little insensitive and not at all one I'd usually make. I had a great experience with my libre but it is only really to show you patterns and not a warning or life saving device, therefore only good till you learn what works and doesn't.

Key_master_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
If it helps to get us on the right track do you not agree that it would help KEEP us on the right track?

Only you can keep yourself on track once you know how your body works and reacts to the foods in your diet and medals you use to control it. I had a good two and half months with one on and learned everything I could in that time. Planned out extra trips kayaking and cycling to get a bigger picture. Even with one on all the time you would still have to test yourself with your trusty blood monitor.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The overall point was that we are being fed the wrong information regarding diet in the first place. All watching what we eat, low fat balanced carbs, whole grains, fresh fruit......

Most LCHF T2's will totally agree with you on that front, and as a T1 I can see an advantage in going LCHF although I choose a more moderate carb intake - on one hand, if 90% of the population can and do survive on a high carb diet, with me injecting insulin why can't I? but then again on the other hand it's easy to see the rise of the modern carb laden diet and the ever increasing rise of medical problems.

The truth about food/diet is well and truly hidden away from the general public.

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
. My info regarding that comes from dr Bernstein and if his information is correct which I believe it to be then this and the statins and other heart medication can be avoided.
Yeah well I'll bet you Dr. Bernstein will be taking 80mg of Lipitor the day after his first coronary event/stent. I take care of a guy who's 64, has had 2 coronary bypass operations, a POS heart, defibrillator, and he always refused statins. He'll never hit age 65 trust me. Maybe it's just the process of natural selection?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah well I'll bet you Dr. Bernstein will be taking 80mg of Lipitor the day after his first coronary event/stent. I take care of a guy who's 64, has had 2 coronary bypass operations, a POS heart, defibrillator, and he always refused statins. He'll never hit age 65 trust me. Maybe it's just the process of natural selection?

Dr Bernstein is 83, and has been practicing what he preaches since 1970 - and he is still fit and healthy (or was the last time I watched one of his recent videos).

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuJ11OJynsvHMsN48LG18Ag

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_K._Bernstein

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Key_master_

Type of diabetes
Type 1

I very much doubt that about the Lipitor or the fact he will need it anytime soon. He has the heart of a healthy 21 or 30 year old, either way at 84 that's impressive. His calcification value is that of zero or as close as. His heart is in pretty dam good shape from his talks about exercise and heart health. I for one have taken note and adopted his approach to diabetes and I'm in the best shape I have been since diagnosis at 17 years old. I'm now 34 fit as a fiddle. Perfect weight, perfect bmi can swim, ride my mountain bike easy 30 miles over tough terrain and kayak all day.

I'm no expert on other people's conditions so I can't comment, I do have first hand experience with my father who I have seen have a number of the above. I cared for him in the last 5 years of his life till he passed away from thrombosis, heart disease and diabetes. All recorded as cause of death. He was 60. Had a major accident 2012, left him in a coma for 11 weeks, upon waking had and after rehab, back on his 12 tablet cocktail for his heart and diabetes, back on his insulin. His type two was almost reversed after his triple bypass in 2010. Which he stopped through 5 trips to the gym a week, every morning on the wi fit and diet. Was on no meds for his heart or diabetes till his accident.