Libre on Prescription - Anyone Still Have Problems Getting Access?

MDJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

Just a general question. Now that we have reached 1 April 2019, is there anyone on here who meets the NHS England criteria for Freestyle Libre prescriptions but is still unable to get the Freestyle Libre on an NHS funded prescription?

I'm trying to find out if the claims that the postcode lottery for Freestyle Libre prescribing really has ended or if there are still areas of the country where people meet one of the NHS England criteria for access to Freestyle Libre but are still being denied it. I know in the areas where I live, despite meeting the NHS England criteria for funding, it is still not possible to get the Freestyle Libre on prescription based on the NHS En gland guidance.

For example, I live in the East & North Herts CCG area and I meet one of the criteria on the NHS England guidance for Freestyle Libre prescriptions. However, I am being told my my GP that they still cannot prescribe it to me as the CCG will not fund such a prescription. I looked up the complaint email address for the CCG on their website and submitted a formal complaint about this. I got a response saying that they will review their prescription criteria for prescribing Freestyle Libre by the end of Q1 2019/20 and may possibly adjust their prescription criteria at that time. However, they also included the following rather ominous line in their response. They noted that the "NHS England guidance is not a mandate or a requirement" and only that the CCG will “consider it closely with an aim to achieve the best outcomes for our patients”.

It doesn't appear to me, despite what Diabetes UK is saying on their campaign website, that the postcode lottery for Freestyle Libre prescriptions ended on 1 April 2019.

What has been the experience on here? Are people who live in England and meet one of the NHS England criteria for funded Freestyle Libre prescriptions now getting it on the NHS? Or, are people who meet one of the criteria still having problems in getting and NHS funded prescription post April1st?

Thanks,

Marcus

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, @MDJ , I can't find the post now, but I'm pretty sure Partha Kar tweeted a while back that if any areas were dragging their heels on this and not complying wih the rules, he'd he happy to have a word with them, so maybe worthwhile contacting him.

https://mobile.twitter.com/parthaskar?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

He's the NHS England Associate National Clinical Director for diabetes, so knows his way round the politics of it.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As I understand it there is rationing of the fsl and it is anticipated that 20% pf type 1s will get it.
I live in Surrey and am treated at tier 3 level (see a hospital consultant), got prescribed it by meeting the CCG criteria pre April 1st. My friend was called by her surgery recently to be warned that she may be 'de prescribed' fsl because she now does not meet the criteria.....So I'd agree that fsl won't be available on demand and will be interested to see how it plays out but it seems there's been some poor expectation management right from the start!

blueeyed81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I tried at the end of last year for a fsl but didn't meet the criteria. At my last appointment 10 days ago I was given 4 weeks, worth I'd sensors, and to go back for a review after. I'm hoping after the review I'll get it on prescription. It was my dietician that sorted it for me :)

gillianoleary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Baby corns. Wrong, wrong, wrong in so many ways!!
I gave up trying to get one on the NHS and obviously still can't buy them because Freestyle are completely useless at making enough of them!
I was given the OK for one last year and the day before I was supposed to get it I received a call telling me that they (CCG) had changed their minds!!
I am lucky enough to be able to self fund the Dexcom G6, a truly wonderful piece of equipment.
The criteria for FSL is a joke, the 20% of T1's will get one is a further joke, the fact if no improvements shown within 6 months it will be taken off you!!!
Completely unfair and a ridiculous situation.

Reactions: Bon83

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As I’m keeping normal bs levels on a low carb diet, I don’t think my GP will give me Libre on prescription. The cost of self-funding (50pounds for 2 weeks) is just too much. So no Libre option for me

Whizzywhizz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not available in my area yet , I asked when they would be available and just got a shrug and the words “ anyone’s guess”

techdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders
I get these with no issues 2 months worth at a time since going onto Novorapid. My Diabetic Team told me they would be swapping me over. It's clearly where you live if you get them or not it seems.

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I get these with no issues 2 months worth at a time since going onto Novorapid. My Diabetic Team told me they would be swapping me over. It's clearly where you live if you get them or not it seems.
I still can’t get these on prescription Apparently I am on a list for review but there are people with worse HbA1c than me so I am obviously not a priority despite being very susceptible to DKA whenever I am ill, or vaccinated!