Libre on prescription for type 2

Smiter55

I messaged my gp on Friday asking about the possibility of getting the libre on prescription. I take glimepiride and it can cause hypos. I explained I had been using a libre I got free and it warned me of hypos 3 times. The low sugars happened within an hour of being quite high so if I had been driving could have been disastrous but thanks to the libre I knew about it before I got the symptoms.

Anyway upshot is, the pharmacy delivery person came today with a libre freestyle and on checking my medical notes it has been added to my repeats list. I didn't really think I would be successful as I am aware they aren't usually available for type 2. Just shows it pays to ask.

brianb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I messaged my gp on Friday asking about the possibility of getting the libre on prescription. I take glimepiride and it can cause hypos. I explained I had been using a libre I got free and it warned me of hypos 3 times. The low sugars happened within an hour of being quite high so if I had been driving could have been disastrous but thanks to the libre I knew about it before I got the symptoms.

Anyway upshot is, the pharmacy delivery person came today with a libre freestyle and on checking my medical notes it has been added to my repeats list. I didn't really think I would be successful as I am aware they aren't usually available for type 2. Just shows it pays to ask.
I've been diabetic for 15 years was always on oral meds but just started Long acting insulin a 8 weeks ago. I too got the free trial of the libra and love it, I'm going to ask for them to be put on prescription on my next diabetic nurse appointment in a months time, Fingers crossed

• Informative
Reactions: jjraak

brianb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm type 1 and I'm supposedly on a waiting list for the past two years. Lost faith in the NHS. Absolute farce
That's a disgrace, All type 1's should have access to these, there a life saver and so much more useful information can be got from these the the doctors can use to get your meds right.

wildbill1791

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Access to Freestyle Libre is controlled by local clinical commissioning groups (CCGs) who set out the conditions to be met before you are eligible for a prescription. The guidance for Kent & Medway (where I live) issued guidance in April 2021 (in other words, before the NICE guidance issued in March 2022) - basically, a set of obstacles to ensure prescriptions are kept to the minimum. The CCG has now been disbanded and its activities subsumed into the Integrated Care Board (ICB); the overall policy on flash and rt-CGM is "under review" with no indication as to when this review will be completed. My own view, for what it's worth, is that it won't happen in a meaningful, practical way. But if you succeed, well done!

• Informative

Smiter55

Question

Where do I get a reader? Are they better at reading than a phone as I'm finding that sometimes I seem to spend ages trying to get my phone to read or is there a knack to it.

• Informative

agwagw

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Question

Where do I get a reader? Are they better at reading than a phone as I'm finding that sometimes I seem to spend ages trying to get my phone to read or is there a knack to it.
You can get the reader for free directly from Abbott (Libre website) I find it so much better than a 'phone - it is nice and small. There isn't quite so much functionality as the App, but does have a log book, trends and six different analyses.

• Useful
Reactions: miahara and jjraak

JohnGL

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

I am Type 2 insulin dependent I have had Libre 2 now for 8 months on prescription, it has changed my life no more finger stabs. I can see on my phone when I'm going high so I can avoid trips to A&E plus I get a warning when my sugars go below 4 mmls. I recommend anyone with diabetes to get Libre 2.

• Friendly

embayweather

I have no agreement as to what type I have but I am insulin dependent after a near fatal covid attack worsened my condition. It is only one of many difficult conditions I have to manage. Becasue I need to test not just at meal times, but also when I drive my vehicle, and my mobility scooter I need to test around eight times a day. Sore finger are a result, but I am not allowed a Libre. I would have thought these machines woud be more widely available. I would get one myself but the outrageous costs are well beyond my means.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm type 1 and I'm supposedly on a waiting list for the past two years. Lost faith in the NHS. Absolute farce
I agree! Professor Patha Karr, head diabetes person in the NHS, is pretty good at shaming his colleagues who can't get their libre prescribing acts together. Try that on Twitter with the name of the CCG and/or Gp surgery perhaps?
@parthaskar

• Useful

pow1963

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dexcom G6 is much better gives constant readings without even having to scan and they're not as bulky

• Informative

Loulou783

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Access to Freestyle Libre is controlled by local clinical commissioning groups (CCGs) who set out the conditions to be met before you are eligible for a prescription. The guidance for Kent & Medway (where I live) issued guidance in April 2021 (in other words, before the NICE guidance issued in March 2022) - basically, a set of obstacles to ensure prescriptions are kept to the minimum. The CCG has now been disbanded and its activities subsumed into the Integrated Care Board (ICB); the overall policy on flash and rt-CGM is "under review" with no indication as to when this review will be completed. My own view, for what it's worth, is that it won't happen in a meaningful, practical way. But if you succeed, well done!
I am type 2 in Medway and have Freestyle libre 2 on prescription. At first it was denied but my diabetes team fought for it and it was accepted.

• Informative

Nell53

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed type 2 just 3 weeks ago. I have no metre and no clue. I don't get to see the diabetic nurse for another 2 weeks. My diagnosis was made when I had a heart attack. Will I get a metre? Any kind of metre? Feeling a little set adrift!

• Hug
Reactions: EllieM and jjraak

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dexcom G6 is much better gives constant readings without even having to scan and they're not as bulky
But G6 are more expensive than Libre so not included in the same NICE Guidelines.
Dexcom ONE is a similar price to Libre and has been included in the NICE guidelines since March. Note, this is a Guideline and one for England so has not been adopted by all CCGs.
It is similar to the G6 (uses Bluetooth rather than needing to scan) but does not have all the same capabilities, especially around integration with other devices such as insulin pumps or smart watches.

I am interested about your comment regarding bulkiness. I found the Dexcom bulkier than the Libre as the transmitter sits on top of the sensor. The applicator is certainly much bigger so produces more waste.

• Informative

john396

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
anything that makes me feel sad and unhappy

Best thing ever..only trouble is alarm can go off at anytome when low sigar is detected..this includes throughout the night.But i keep a small bottle of full fat coke and a packet of glucose tablets on my bedside.I still always check my bloods with my gluco rx machine when the libre alarm goes off.This gives a more accuate reading than the libre.I have the libre app on my android phone where the diabetic team monitor my readings and my daughter is also a contact as a safeguard.

• Informative

cheesedream

I was diagnosed type 2 just 3 weeks ago. I have no metre and no clue. I don't get to see the diabetic nurse for another 2 weeks. My diagnosis was made when I had a heart attack. Will I get a metre? Any kind of metre? Feeling a little set adrift!
I had the same experience as you, and was diagnosed in a hospital ward having had a heart attack. It seems most type 2s don't get meters or test strips on prescription unless you are on medication which can cause hypos. I bought a meter online that has relatively low cost strips, as those are the ongoing costs.

• Informative
Reactions: Lainie71 and jjraak

JudiP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I don’t use a reader but my phone works well as a reader. Sometimes it does say there was an error so try again and this is usually if the garments I am wearing are crumpled over where the sensor is situated, so check that and it usually works. I am amazed how it reads the sensor over several layers of clothing.

• Informative