Libre Reader

T2#Me

I found on the Abbot website that they are not selling to new customers.
???
What sort of madness is this? Who ever heard of a successful business unableunwilling to make enough of their product to meet demand?
Smells to me of a deliberate monopoly protocol by Abbot to drive the prices high ... ie those customers who can buy them, can then sell them at high price.

I wonder why other companies do not fill this gap with similar products - obviously there is massive demand.

Also I checked on the internet to buy the Reader, and found one on Amazon for £150!

Also the cost of the sensors everwhere is mindblowing!

I find this soul destroying ... sick people are such cash cows in the diabetes industry.

Just in case I am just being dumb (again) does anyone know where to buy a Libre Reader and some sensors without having to sell my house?

Thanks

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
You can read the sensors with a compatible phone so no reader required.
Some pharmacies go them (sensors) for a slightly cheaper price.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Abbott have had new customer waiting lists before when demand has temporarily outstripped their production capacity, and resolving this is presumably not an instant fix. But I've never seen any price increases due to such issues. and as far as I'm aware their prices have never increased at all - certainly not over the time I've bought sensors from them direct. (And currently the actual costs have decreased as they're offering free postage...)

I (and many others) had to go on waiting lists for a fair while before being accepted as new customers, and though the costs are high and sensors have to be a considered and intermittent purchase for me as an OAP on a limited budget, I do actually believe them to be better value from the point of the extra information obtained than my slightly cheaper test strips.

I can't comment on whether or not retailers have increased their prices due to shortages, though I have on occasion certainly seen some ridiculously high prices from resellers on Amazon and eBay hoping to make a quick buck, but such hefty prices can't be blamed on Abbott!

Robbity

T2#Me

You can read the sensors with a compatible phone so no reader required.
Some pharmacies go them (sensors) for a slightly cheaper price.
Oh thanks, will look into this (type of phone, etc) ... thanks so much :)

T2#Me

Abbott have had new customer waiting lists before when demand has temporarily outstripped their production capacity, and resolving this is presumably not an instant fix. But I've never seen any price increases due to such issues. and as far as I'm aware their prices have never increased at all - certainly not over the time I've bought sensors from them direct. (And currently the actual costs have decreased as they're offering free postage...)

I (and many others) had to go on waiting lists for a fair while before being accepted as new customers, and though the costs are high and sensors have to be a considered and intermittent purchase for me as an OAP on a limited budget, I do actually believe them to be better value from the point of the extra information obtained than my slightly cheaper test strips.

I can't comment on whether or not retailers have increased their prices due to shortages, though I have on occasion certainly seen some ridiculously high prices from resellers on Amazon and eBay hoping to make a quick buck, but such hefty prices can't be blamed on Abbott!

Robbity
Thanks for your helpful reply ... I'll register with Abbot and see how it goes ... meanwhile I'll try the blood drop type. Cheers ... :)

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@T2#Me It's worth being aware that if you've been diagnosed as diabetic, you should be able to claim VAT exemption on your sensor purchases. Abbott have a claim form for doing this that you'll need to complete when you (finally!) place an order via their website. It does make the costs a little more palatable! :)

Robbity

Reactions: T2#Me

parentjoe

I found on the Abbot website that they are not selling to new customers.
???
What sort of madness is this? Who ever heard of a successful business unableunwilling to make enough of their product to meet demand?
Smells to me of a deliberate monopoly protocol by Abbot to drive the prices high ... ie those customers who can buy them, can then sell them at high price.

I wonder why other companies do not fill this gap with similar products - obviously there is massive demand.

Also I checked on the internet to buy the Reader, and found one on Amazon for £150!

Also the cost of the sensors everwhere is mindblowing!

I find this soul destroying ... sick people are such cash cows in the diabetes industry.

Just in case I am just being dumb (again) does anyone know where to buy a Libre Reader and some sensors without having to sell my house?

Thanks

The real scandal here is that they’re not supplied on the NHS. They are technically approved but central government won’t give the local health authority the funding to offer them.
There are all kinds of petitions doing the rounds about this. Sign them all !!!!!
You can however buy the sensors at Superdrug pharmacy cheaper than they are from Abbott.

Reactions: newcamili and T2#Me

alandavis77

Hi guys. Was diagnosed with Type 1 a few weeks ago. The finger pricking has become a real nuisance. Fingers are sore from doing it so much and is difficult doing so on a flight. I travel several times a month for my job around Europe. I’ve decided to self fund the Libre Sensor. My Dad has one and it’s made a huge difference to him. Does anyone know if readings are stored on separate phones if they are logged in to my account. Reason being is that I was hoping to have it on my Wife and Daughters Phone incase my battery dies and to maintain my readings on the same account? I am hoping to push for funding moving forward. Any ideas on how it’s best to go about it other than getting on your hands and knees? Thoughts are most welcome. Many thanks

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi guys. Was diagnosed with Type 1 a few weeks ago. The finger pricking has become a real nuisance. Fingers are sore from doing it so much and is difficult doing so on a flight. I travel several times a month for my job around Europe. I’ve decided to self fund the Libre Sensor. My Dad has one and it’s made a huge difference to him. Does anyone know if readings are stored on separate phones if they are logged in to my account. Reason being is that I was hoping to have it on my Wife and Daughters Phone incase my battery dies and to maintain my readings on the same account? I am hoping to push for funding moving forward. Any ideas on how it’s best to go about it other than getting on your hands and knees? Thoughts are most welcome. Many thanks

This is an old thread so you may not have any replies. You would be better starting your own thread. Oh .... and welcome to the forum. :)