Libre Sensor 2 - PLEASE BE CAREFUL - Recent Issues

Waggytails

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
BACKGROUND: I've been using the libre2 sensor on prescription for well over 2 years now with no issues (apart from two falling off, and one telling me it had malfunctioned a week into it's life). On the rare occasion I have calibrated my sensor with a finger prick it has been usually either spot on or within 0.5, even during periods of transition. Not even the 15-30 minute delay has caused any issues. My Diabetic team at the hospital (UK, been a T1 since the age of 7 and now nearing 30) advised finger pricking isn't really necessary even to calibrate, even when driving as the DVLA accept CGM machines as accurate now, it's only if you are in hypo or exhibit symptoms you must test which has never been the case for me as I get really good warning signs.

My sensor ran our on Friday night, so I replaced with a new one. For the last week my BS readings have improved on normal, especially overnight which I attributed to a change in Glargine.

On Sunday afternoon (yesterday) my Libre was showing me as 3.4. Odd I thought, I felt fine and usually once I go below 4.5 I start to get the feeling of dropping and get a bit sweaty and just general yuck feeling. Anyway, I had some glucose and some carbs and 30 minutes later my Libre was showing as LO... weird, I had a little bit more glucose and then 10 minutes later I was showing as 6.4.

Great, I thought. Here comes the bounce. I decided to test 15 minutes later so I could begin and gauge how much novorapid to microdose through the bounce and it was showing as 4.2.... 5 minutes after that? 3.6 again. At this point I finger pricked to show 11.4. I then decided to monitor over the next 5 hours and do regular finger pricks and Libre readings. I have enclosed these on the image.

In summary, these were off anywhere between approx 2.0 mmol and 11mmol. I removed the sensor, and put a new one on as it was clearly faulty. I even switched arm.

I then did the same with this monitor (but not written and recorded) about 12 hours after starting it and it was anything between 0.1 and 1.5 in difference to a finger prick. No issues with that, seemed the norm. Then this afternoon (just after 24 hours had gone) the same differences as the other Libre started to occur. These are also on the image attached. Please note these readings were only taken during periods of questionable readings from the Libre and purposefully was selective in the amount of insulin given to make sure it wasn't a very big delay being the cause of issue for the ''test'' and my readings are usually nice and settled and lower than the finger prick results!

My sensor then failed and said there was an error and I needed a new one. I also use Glimp every now and then so I've recorded the levels from that, as I was wanting to make sure it wasn't a Libre app issue, or me, or the sensors themselves.

I've contacted Libre who have sent out replacements, but i am perplexed and now have some serious trust issues! The cherry on the cake is I leave for a beach holiday on Friday and whilst I was going to take my finger prick with me, was looking forward to practically hands free monitoring from the poolside! Has anyone ever become immune to Libre sensors?

View attachment 63036View attachment 63037

UPDATE: The replacement sensors from Abbott have arrived. 2 hours in and I haven't left between 6.0 and 6.8 on my libre app, yet between 4 different finger prints I've ranged betwwn 8.5 - 10.7. Not looking promising. The auto CGM is also turned off for some reason on the app for this sensor and doesn't seem to be on, I will post an updated spreadsheet later with the disparity with this one.
I had this too, changed sensor and arm and called Abbott. I don't know if I somehow missed this or was never told, but the guy at Abbott told me that I had to leave 10 mins between the BS reading and the sensor reading. Plus it must be in that order. BS first, leave 10 mins then do a sensor reading to compare. I do appreciate that there is a difference in what's being read but I was not aware of such a time gap. I've never totally trusted the sensors and never will I doubt, but they are useful at certain times. Don't ever give up finger pricking, no matter what anyone says!

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Thanks @Westley. Your suggestion to change sensors in the morning is a good idea but that's what I already did with this one. I hate not knowing what actually happened but I don't what the answer is when the sensor and blood test kit disagree with each other so much.

I've had the sensor on about 24 hours now and I think it's accurate, so I guess I'll leave it on and trust it. It's just kind of horrible not knowing if I caused myself brain damage last night or not.
In 1979, I was left unconscious for several hours, caused by a combination of alcohol and very low blood sugar. I woke up at 12.45 with an intense headache and complete memory loss, even being unable to think of my father's name. I had already been type 1 for 20 years and had experienced many hypos requiring assistance. My long-term memory is outstanding, but in recent years my short-term memory is not so reliable. My brother would say "You're just getting old!" Over the 54 years of Type1 it wouldn't surprise me if hypo's played a part in this, but I think you would be very unlikely to be affected given that today's technology is improving all the time. In 1979, a glucometer was the size of a portable cassette tape player!

1695137696212.png

Bill_St

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have used Libre continuously over the last 7 years.
Errors due to insertion trauma have long been recognised.
Indeed they were discussed in the original trials and patents.
para 470 or thereabouts

Also in those patents were suggestions to preinsert. Insert the sensor but do not activate it for 12-24-48 hours to allow trauma to subside.
Juggluco allows two sensors to run concurrently and show both graphs. It also gives an extra 12 hours beyond the 14 days of sensor life.

I preinsert by 8 hours now (I used to allow 24 hours) but with Juggluco I can see the new sensor settle without extra fingerpricks. I can compare the two and then can depend upon the new sensor.

Temperature does affect sensors.
As can pressure lowering blood circulation. This gives rise to the so-called compression low.

imho It is important to apply interpretation to ALL readings and rely upon graphs much more that spot readings.
Similarly spot readings from fingerpricks (they are ALL spot readings) are always suspect compared to the graphs from hundreds of CGM readings.

This chart shows the overlap of new and old sensor using Juggluco.: And an incorrect low value as the sensor starts.

Attachments

• IMG_6496.jpeg
    IMG_6496.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 77
Last edited:

Bill_St

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Insertion trauma can be reduced using Ibuprofen or similar
It can be dramatically increased due to insertion at a point previously used at an area of skin hardened by prior use or “insertion” such as needlework.
Which is why it is recommended to vary the insertion location and to avoid areas of tattoo. ;)

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I also had a terrible experience with my Libra last week it kept saying it was low 4.3 so i ate something and it went up to 5.2 it then went back down again and it kept doing this for two hours eventually i was bloated with all the food i was eating the readings then suddenly went sky high but it scared the living daylights out of me I can tell you so now I am being extra vigilant.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I also had a terrible experience with my Libra last week it kept saying it was low 4.3 so i ate something and it went up to 5.2 it then went back down again and it kept doing this for two hours eventually i was bloated with all the food i was eating the readings then suddenly went sky high but it scared the living daylights out of me I can tell you so now I am being extra vigilant.
Did you check any of those Libre readings with a finger prick as advised?
If my levels were stuck lower than I wanted regardless of what I ate, they would fit the criteria of “unexpected “ which Abbott themselves advise to double check with a finger prick.
I would not be blaming the Libre for this experience if I was not double checking as per the advice,

domoboy

sumo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’m the same with a mixture of nearly good to way out , ( and the 2 falling off more often than the one ) , but my visits to the hospital only look at the libre results, and not at my pump finger stick results, Meaning the advice the doctor gives , looking at the libre results are false.

Ricky 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I found the best way around this as I got the same unreliable for readings for 12 to 24 hrs is to attach a new sensor on the other arm two days before the old one is due to finish when it finishes then activate the new one it has already got used to being installed works fine for me.. I use skin preparation wipes search on Amazon I will not say the name in case people think I am advertising they hold anything for 14 days no change from day 1 of fitting still solid.

Reactions: Bill_St

j.d.ice

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Glad it's not just me. Warnings being going off and I didn't feel like I was having a hypo and finger prick showed I wasn't.
Been advised to take slo act dose at tea time, not before bed to stop morning lows. It's worked really well. I've also set my low sugar alarm on libre app to alert at 4.3 instead of 3.9. Gives more time to prevent hypo with a snack. Type 1 for 56 yrs. Love libre!

Francel

To keep it short and sweet I have had very similar issues with Libre 2. My diabetes consultant said it could be due to me being allergic to the sticky tape…I’m only allergic to some of them. Abbott have replaced the ones I’ve had to replace or don’t work properly. All in all I check my finger bm’s regularly.

JoolsSugar

I've used Libre1&2 over the last couple of years (type 2, insulin no tablets), I've lost confidence in them, they've become erratic and the readings are not accurate. Also, more than 3 over the last few months have just 'fallen off' my arm. I have to keep my iphone almost strapped to my body otherwise the app loses connection with the phone and then there's no readings. The 'lost signal' alarm was constantly going off, so I switched it off, which isn't good as then I didn't know if it was connecting or not. Abbot do not appear to really give a ****, they made it so difficult to return a faulty unit that I gave up, the support section on their website for loss of functionality is poor. Shocking really as they're so damned expensive, and I can't get them on prescription as T2s are not covered by the NHS, why I don't know, but I buy these and now I don't because I can't rely on them.

Last edited:

IanA123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Only diagnosed 2 years ago and only using sensors for 12mths. I never got out of the habit of Fingerpricks for dosing so use the sensor and fingerpricks 4 times a day. Usually they are within one 1mmol give or take when in range. I have experienced the odd dodgy sensor though.

Just as I type i have the opposite problem - libre says 4.1 fingerprick 3.5(just where my hypo awareness kicks in).
Do not let gp or hospital know that, to drive it should be around 4.5 for hypo awareness. They do not like it being lower even though I am fully functional at 3.0

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Do not let gp or hospital know that, to drive it should be around 4.5 for hypo awareness. They do not like it being lower even though I am fully functional at 3.0
You think you are fully functional at 3.0 but I believe the brain needs at least 2.8 mmol/l in order to function properly.
Given the accuracy of meters, 3.0 could well be below this threshold - you think you are fully functional but are lacking the mental capacity to really know.

Our body learns what is "normal". Your has learnt that 3.0 is "normal" which means you are losing your hypo awareness and are dangerous to drive.
The recommendation is to retrain your body what is normal by running your BG higher for a few weeks.

Reactions: Bill_St

Hippo123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
BACKGROUND: I've been using the libre2 sensor on prescription for well over 2 years now with no issues (apart from two falling off, and one telling me it had malfunctioned a week into it's life). On the rare occasion I have calibrated my sensor with a finger prick it has been usually either spot on or within 0.5, even during periods of transition. Not even the 15-30 minute delay has caused any issues. My Diabetic team at the hospital (UK, been a T1 since the age of 7 and now nearing 30) advised finger pricking isn't really necessary even to calibrate, even when driving as the DVLA accept CGM machines as accurate now, it's only if you are in hypo or exhibit symptoms you must test which has never been the case for me as I get really good warning signs.

My sensor ran our on Friday night, so I replaced with a new one. For the last week my BS readings have improved on normal, especially overnight which I attributed to a change in Glargine.

On Sunday afternoon (yesterday) my Libre was showing me as 3.4. Odd I thought, I felt fine and usually once I go below 4.5 I start to get the feeling of dropping and get a bit sweaty and just general yuck feeling. Anyway, I had some glucose and some carbs and 30 minutes later my Libre was showing as LO... weird, I had a little bit more glucose and then 10 minutes later I was showing as 6.4.

Great, I thought. Here comes the bounce. I decided to test 15 minutes later so I could begin and gauge how much novorapid to microdose through the bounce and it was showing as 4.2.... 5 minutes after that? 3.6 again. At this point I finger pricked to show 11.4. I then decided to monitor over the next 5 hours and do regular finger pricks and Libre readings. I have enclosed these on the image.

In summary, these were off anywhere between approx 2.0 mmol and 11mmol. I removed the sensor, and put a new one on as it was clearly faulty. I even switched arm.

I then did the same with this monitor (but not written and recorded) about 12 hours after starting it and it was anything between 0.1 and 1.5 in difference to a finger prick. No issues with that, seemed the norm. Then this afternoon (just after 24 hours had gone) the same differences as the other Libre started to occur. These are also on the image attached. Please note these readings were only taken during periods of questionable readings from the Libre and purposefully was selective in the amount of insulin given to make sure it wasn't a very big delay being the cause of issue for the ''test'' and my readings are usually nice and settled and lower than the finger prick results!

My sensor then failed and said there was an error and I needed a new one. I also use Glimp every now and then so I've recorded the levels from that, as I was wanting to make sure it wasn't a Libre app issue, or me, or the sensors themselves.

I've contacted Libre who have sent out replacements, but i am perplexed and now have some serious trust issues! The cherry on the cake is I leave for a beach holiday on Friday and whilst I was going to take my finger prick with me, was looking forward to practically hands free monitoring from the poolside! Has anyone ever become immune to Libre sensors?

UPDATE: The replacement sensors from Abbott have arrived. 2 hours in and I haven't left between 6.0 and 6.8 on my libre app, yet between 4 different finger prints I've ranged betwwn 8.5 - 10.7. Not looking promising. The auto CGM is also turned off for some reason on the app for this sensor and doesn't seem to be on, I will post an updated spreadsheet later with the disparity with this one.
I have a CGM and pump combo. I used to have the libre- please remember it’s testing interstitial glucose levels and will not be as accurate as an actual blood glucose test. It can be fine most of the time but when it’s transitioning it can be a problem. But the arrows saying if you are going up or fine are really helpful. If you are low on the libre and feel low treat it, if you are low on the libre and feel fine test it. Chances are it’s just lagging behind a little.
My pump is fully automated (Medtronic 780) with guardian sensor 4, if my sugar is high it automatically corrects but can over correct me & then I crash down. On the whole it’s much better than injections though.

Dobsfidge68

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Dobsfidge68

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, thanks for all the info here. I have just logged in after trying to just get on with living to find all your comments quite reassuring.

40 years plus Type 1
On Lib for about a year.
Great to start with.
Started noticing problems about 1-2 months ago as mentioned by different posts here.
Will email my team tomorrow and see what eventually comes back.

To sum up, I will explain the system I am using has helped me mismanage my control so my hypothetical HBa1c has gone from 6.9 a while ago to 7.2 within two months.

I am getting so many sensor errors now it is becoming a pain in the **** so let’s see what happens next.

Thank all and all the best for the future.

IanA123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, thanks for all the info here. I have just logged in after trying to just get on with living to find all your comments quite reassuring.

40 years plus Type 1
On Lib for about a year.
Great to start with.
Started noticing problems about 1-2 months ago as mentioned by different posts here.
Will email my team tomorrow and see what eventually comes back.

To sum up, I will explain the system I am using has helped me mismanage my control so my hypothetical HBa1c has gone from 6.9 a while ago to 7.2 within two months.

I am getting so many sensor errors now it is becoming a pain in the **** so let’s see what happens next.

Thank all and all the best for the future.
T1 for 31yrs, been on libre for 2yrs and hba1c has risen from 42 to currently 63. Could be that I am insulin resilient or could be the fact that finger pricks shows libre always 2 under where I am actually at. Way better control without a libre