Libre sensor in a CT scanner?

Colin of Kent

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm having a coronary CT on Monday. Does anyone know whether I can continue to wear my Libre sensor during the scan? I don't imagine it'll be a problem, but you never know...

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I think it would be best to remove it.
"
FreeStyle Libre Indications and Important Safety Information
The FreeStyle Libre Flash Glucose Monitoring System is a continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) device indicated for the management of diabetes in persons age 18 and older. It is designed to replace blood glucose testing for diabetes treatment decisions.
The System detects trends and tracks patterns aiding in the detection of episodes of hyperglycemia and hypoglycemia, facilitating both acute and long-term therapy adjustments. Interpretation of the System readings should be based on the glucose trends and several sequential readings over time. The System is intended for single patient use and requires a prescription.
CONTRAINDICATIONS:
The FreeStyle Libre Flash Glucose Monitoring System must be removed prior to Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI), Computed Tomography (CT) scan, or high-frequency electrical heat (diathermy) treatment. The effect of MRI, CT scans, or diathermy on the performance of the System has not been evaluated. The exposure may damage the Sensor and may impact proper function of the device which could cause incorrect readings."

https://www.freestylelibre.us/safety-information.html

D

Deleted member 308541

I'm having a coronary CT on Monday. Does anyone know whether I can continue to wear my Libre sensor during the scan? I don't imagine it'll be a problem, but you never know...
I would take it off if it was me.

I have a picture in my mind of going through the scanner, and the sensor going up in a shower of sparks like when you put a coaster dvd in a microwave and nuke it for a minute..

Reactions: JohnEGreen

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’d just be sure to ask medical staff before going into the machine. If you have a contact number a call beforehand could clarify the issue

Reactions: Colin of Kent

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
There's no real danger, but it will produce "artefacts" on the image... white streaks and sunburst type effects, so can ruin the CT image. In a normal x-ray it would just show up as one identifiable blob, but in a CT the images are taken from various angles and the result is pretty, but not useful! If I were you, I'd remove it otherwise you may have to repeat the whole process again.

Colin of Kent

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Quick update for anyone interested... I had the scan today, no problem. I asked about the Libre sensor, and both the cardiologist and the radiographer said it was fine to leave it on. My arms were well out of the way, and they got some good images, apparently. I also checked the patient information leaflet beforehand, and although it advises against using it in an MRI scanner, there's no mention of CT scans or x-rays.

Reactions: porl69

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I suppose it was just the manufacturer being over cautious when specifically advising against wearing one when having a CT scan because it had not been evaluated in such conditions.

Glad that there was no problem I think their concern was more about will the sensor withstand it and still work afterwards rather than if the scan is a clear one or not.

Reactions: Colin of Kent