Libre sensors on holidays????

asa35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anybody had any experience use the Libre reader / sensors on holiday? I've, through airports, in the heat, in swimming pools etc.
Possibly going away in a couple of weeks and wondered how it fairs under these conditions?
Thanks

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We've had LOTS of people say they are fine though airport security, and the instructions say they are OK for up to 30 mins in water, whether that is shower, bath, pool or hot tub.

I have tested the water rigorously, and can confirm that the only time I lost one was after a rather long (60min plus) soak, and that was near the end of the sensor life, so I considered it self inflicted! :D

Nowadays if I want a long soak I just put a layer of Opsite breathable tape over the sensor and surrounding area. Works like a charm.

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I'll tag @robert72 into your thread as he has been using the Libre for some time and may have been abroad.

Enjoy your holiday.

Reactions: 4 people

asa35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We've had LOTS of people say they are fine though airport security, and the instructions say they are OK for up to 30 mins in water, whether that is shower, bath, pool or hot tub.

I have tested the water rigorously, and can confirm that the only time I lost one was after a rather long (60min plus) soak, and that was near the end of the sensor life, so I considered it self inflicted! :D

Nowadays if I want a long soak I just put a layer of Opsite breathable tape over the sensor and surrounding area. Works like a charm.
Many thanks for your reply. I was a bit apprehensive about using it incase I ended up losing its use.

Sent from my D5503 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been to Spain, Dubai and Africa using the Libre and have not had any problems with either heat or airport security. I haven't done any swimming with it though, so can't comment on that.

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm doing a trial of the Libre this week and intend swimming tomorrow with it, so will report back!

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The sensor was fine through the first night. I was delighted to see the graph of the night's blood sugars. (I'm easy to please!!)
Got to the pool for 8:30, but unable to use sensor for pre-swim blood sugar check, as the reader was already in need of recharging!
However, though unable to read the sensor, the sensor stayed on my arm throughout a 30 minute swim. I stuck to the rules outlined in the handbook and mentioned above by @Brunneria :

'Your Sensor is water-resistant and can be worn while bathing, showering or swimming. Do NOT take your Sensor deeper than 1 metre (3 feet) or immerse it longer than 30 minutes in water.'

The sensor stayed on ok throughout the swim plus showering, shampooing, drying, dressing, staggering to Nero's for first coffee of the day. There I resorted to finger stick bloods as my Libre reader was uncharged. :)

To be honest, it was a success, the worst aspect being nervous about wearing something relatively expensive (not a diamond tiara I know) in a swimming-pool. I would prefer to wear some sort of cover over the sensor, but haven't yet sussed what I could use. I will try @Brunneria 's suggestion of Opsite, and maybe look for something like a neoprene arm band.

asa35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The sensor was fine through the first night. I was delighted to see the graph of the night's blood sugars. (I'm easy to please!!)
Got to the pool for 8:30, but unable to use sensor for pre-swim blood sugar check, as the reader was already in need of recharging!
However, though unable to read the sensor, the sensor stayed on my arm throughout a 30 minute swim. I stuck to the rules outlined in the handbook and mentioned above by @Brunneria :

'Your Sensor is water-resistant and can be worn while bathing, showering or swimming. Do NOT take your Sensor deeper than 1 metre (3 feet) or immerse it longer than 30 minutes in water.'

The sensor stayed on ok throughout the swim plus showering, shampooing, drying, dressing, staggering to Nero's for first coffee of the day. There I resorted to finger stick bloods as my Libre reader was uncharged. :)

To be honest, it was a success, the worst aspect being nervous about wearing something relatively expensive (not a diamond tiara I know) in a swimming-pool. I would prefer to wear some sort of cover over the sensor, but haven't yet sussed what I could use. I will try @Brunneria 's suggestion of Opsite, and maybe look for something like a neoprene arm band.
Hi @lizdeluz, that's some good testing you've done. Pleasing results and gives me confidence to hopefully use a new sensor. I've got one on now which expires 2 days after I fly out, so could be a good time to give it some stick!
Many thanks for reporting back your findings also.

Sent from my D5503 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

asa35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If it's of any interest to anybody, I had no problems with the sensor going through the airports (Manchester & Tenerife), and the sensor that was on worked great for the final 2 days of it's timescale - in the pool, with the heat, showering etc) ; only once did the reader say that the temperature was too hot to use it, but left it to cool and it was fine. Unfortunately, the second sensor I took with me failed on its first day, so had to resort to finger tests for the week - not ideal as I wanted the sensor for the convenience!!!
Abbott has since replaced the sensor once I returned home - had to give the fault code off the meter.