libre sensors position

caretaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
is there anyone using any where other than the back of there arm?

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@caretaker.
There are various people on the forum who have mentioned wearing their sensors on their chest and legs. If you use the Search function (top right of the page) you will be able to find these.
I wear mine slightly under my arm.
Bear in mind that the Libre is only approved for wearing on the arm. If you experience any problems when wearing it elsewhere, Abbott may be less likely to replace it.

You may also want to ask the moderators to move this thread from the Pumping sub-forum as it is not related to pumps and will get a larger audience if you post it in a more general sub-forum.

Reactions: caretaker

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just to add ... as this is in the Pumping sub-forum ... CGMs should not be placed too close to pump cannulas as it can affect the accuracy of the readings. I assume along the same lines, if you inject, you do not want to inject close to the sensor.

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
Personally, the “approved” back of upper arm works very well for me, but watch this video suggesting alternatives, which have been tested by the Youtuber:

Reactions: Struma

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Yep ! Belly ,chest , arm all seem to work ok

Ermintrude75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As the Libre has only been approved for use on the back of the arm. You would have to do a finger prick for driving

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Unless I've read it wrong, this means that if you wear a sensor on your chest you don't need to do a finger prick test before driving then, which is what I've always understood.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Unless I've read it wrong, this means that if you wear a sensor on your chest you don't need to do a finger prick test before driving then, which is what I've always understood.

Err as it is only licensed for use on the arm. You should definitely do a blood test if elsewhere. You would not be covered without.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I have for the past three weeks after a YouTube video been wearing mine on my upper leg, kinda under my front pocket of my jeans, I have found the readings to be very accurate. (No idea about the rules)

(Having tattoos done so avoiding arms)

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When I wore Libres they started to reject on my arms (no idea why) my diabetes nurse actually recommended trying my abdomen as they knew of other women who used that area without issue. I just made sure I put it on the opposite side to the side my pump cannula was on. Never had any reading issues or failures and it was always relatively accurate.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi there,

ooooooh,
Not quite... From here. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/diabetes-mellitus-assessing-fitness-to-drive#diabetes-mellitus

"Adequate awareness of hypoglycaemia
The Secretary of State’s Honorary Medical Advisory Panel on Driving and Diabetes has defined adequate awareness of hypoglycaemia as whether ‘the licence holder/applicant [is] capable of bringing their vehicle to a safe controlled stop’.

This is a matter of professional judgement and as a guide the duration of hypoglycaemic symptoms experienced should be compatible with bringing a vehicle to a safe controlled stop.

The reliance on alarms on glucose monitoring devices are not accepted as a substitute for adequate symptomatic or physiological awareness of hypoglycaemia experienced by the driver.

Should a driver become reliant on these alarms to advise them that they are hypoglycaemic they must stop driving and notify DVLA."

And..

"These systems may be used for monitoring glucose at times relevant to driving Group 1 vehicles. Users of these systems must carry finger prick capillary glucose testing equipment for driving purposes as there are times when a confirmatory finger prick blood glucose level is required.

If using an interstitial fluid continuous glucose monitoring system (Flash GM or RT-CGM), the blood glucose level must be confirmed with a finger prick blood glucose reading in the following circumstances:

• when the glucose level is 4.0 mmol/L or below
  • when symptoms of hypoglycaemia are being experienced
  • when the glucose monitoring system gives a reading that is not consistent with the symptoms being experienced (eg symptoms of hypoglycaemia and the system reading does not indicate this) - see the INF294 leaflet in Appendix D for further details"
Hope this helps?

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Jaylee. Thanks for the info, but I was well aware of this, and always follow the guidelines re hypo's etc. The only thing I didn't realise was that if you placed the sensor somewhere other than your arm you still had to finger prick before driving. Obvious really, just hadn't occurred to me, and when others on the forum have asked about where to place sensors, it's not been mentioned as far as I can remember.

IanRA

Type of diabetes
Type 1
is there anyone using any where other than the back of there arm?
Yes, I have also used my love handles, and it works OK, but over time, I found that when comparing finger prick to flash, the back of the upper arm was more accurate. Of course, this may be because of the fat levels in the belly location would be higher, well, for an older T1 like me.