Libre & sports

Manfer87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,

Very sorry if there is already a similar thread somewhere, but I couldn't find one!

I have been asked if I want to play for my local ladies rugby team & as much as I would like to, I am concerned about my Libre sensor taking a complete battering & being ripped out/knocked off.

Is there anyone that plays a contact sport whilst also sporting any kind of diabetes gadget?

Does it stay attached safely? Should I get some kind of cover/strap/tape etc?
Or should I just not play rugby? :hilarious:

Sam x

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
You should absolutely play rugby if you want to!
I would suggest coveryit or wearing it in a different place from the arm - stomach say.
@Goonergal plays football so may have insight

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,

Very sorry if there is already a similar thread somewhere, but I couldn't find one!

I have been asked if I want to play for my local ladies rugby team & as much as I would like to, I am concerned about my Libre sensor taking a complete battering & being ripped out/knocked off.

Is there anyone that plays a contact sport whilst also sporting any kind of diabetes gadget?

Does it stay attached safely? Should I get some kind of cover/strap/tape etc?
Or should I just not play rugby? :hilarious:

Sam x
Have you tried checking out Henry Slade and Chris Pennell. Both professional rugby players and both T1.
I can’t find a link to HS but I’m fairly certain he’s talked about playing with the Libre on.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You should absolutely play rugby if you want to!
I would suggest coveryit or wearing it in a different place from the arm - stomach say.
@Goonergal plays football so may have insight

Thanks for the tag @Diakat . The only time I attempted to play football wearing the Libre, I ended up removing it, but only because it was a faulty one I’d just activated which gave me 3 unbelievably high readings before failing. I would suggest covering with something - perhaps a bandage - while playing: I haven’t been able to find any sticky patch to which I’m not allergic. Someone did post a link to some commercially made covers for sport, but I can’t find the link. Will have a look and post back if I find it.