1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Libre & sports

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Manfer87, Nov 1, 2019.

1. Manfer87

Manfer87 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

Very sorry if there is already a similar thread somewhere, but I couldn't find one!

I have been asked if I want to play for my local ladies rugby team & as much as I would like to, I am concerned about my Libre sensor taking a complete battering & being ripped out/knocked off.

Is there anyone that plays a contact sport whilst also sporting any kind of diabetes gadget?

Does it stay attached safely? Should I get some kind of cover/strap/tape etc?
    Or should I just not play rugby? :hilarious:

Sam x

2. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

You should absolutely play rugby if you want to!
    I would suggest coveryit or wearing it in a different place from the arm - stomach say.
    @Goonergal plays football so may have insight

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Have you tried checking out Henry Slade and Chris Pennell. Both professional rugby players and both T1.
    I can’t find a link to HS but I’m fairly certain he’s talked about playing with the Libre on.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Master

Thanks for the tag @Diakat . The only time I attempted to play football wearing the Libre, I ended up removing it, but only because it was a faulty one I’d just activated which gave me 3 unbelievably high readings before failing. I would suggest covering with something - perhaps a bandage - while playing: I haven’t been able to find any sticky patch to which I’m not allergic. Someone did post a link to some commercially made covers for sport, but I can’t find the link. Will have a look and post back if I find it.

5. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

6. Manfer87

Manfer87 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook