**shell**

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Insects, ignorance, horror films.
Morning All.
Just looking for some.advice for my Libre.

I've now had two in a row fall off, and my third is looking very precarious one week in. My first two fell off within less than a week and so this time I took the extra precaution of a skin tac wipe (I follow the other instructions to a t).

I've not had any problems so far with Abbot sending me replacements but I feel constantly on edge that it's going to fall off; and the extra worry is not what I need at the moment. Plus I am sure Abbots patience will eventually wear thin.

I understand that we are experiencing some rather warm conditions at the moment but surely that can't be the reason since it's the third time. I have had to use sun cream this weekend (I've actually burnt around my sensor as I was wary of applying any cream too close).

Have I just not go the right skin for them to stick to?

Does anyone have any fail safe tips?

Thanks
Michelle x

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All.
Just looking for some.advice for my Libre.

I've now had two in a row fall off, and my third is looking very precarious one week in. My first two fell off within less than a week and so this time I took the extra precaution of a skin tac wipe (I follow the other instructions to a t).

I've not had any problems so far with Abbot sending me replacements but I feel constantly on edge that it's going to fall off; and the extra worry is not what I need at the moment. Plus I am sure Abbots patience will eventually wear thin.

I understand that we are experiencing some rather warm conditions at the moment but surely that can't be the reason since it's the third time. I have had to use sun cream this weekend (I've actually burnt around my sensor as I was wary of applying any cream too close).

Have I just not go the right skin for them to stick to?

Does anyone have any fail safe tips?

Thanks
Michelle x

Hi Shell - I'm usually the other way - prizing them off after 14 days, feeling like my arm will fall off too!

I'm not using the Libre at the moment (I'm an intermittent, self-funder), but I seem to feel I've read of a few folks with the problem recently. One could speculate there could have been a less sticky batch, but I have no real grounds for that.

K

Knikki

HMM!!!! Don't know, I did have one come off last week when the heat wave started and so far the on I put back on is, so far, stuck fast.

I am new to these Libre things so maybe not the best, I do know, reading around here that there have on occasions been bad batches of them out and about so maybe you have been unlucky and got a couple where the stickness is not that sticky.

Not much help sorry.

Levy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I personally don't have any problems with them sticking, but I know from a Libre Facebook group I'm part of that a lot of people cover them with Tegaderm or rocktape to get them to stick.

Last edited:

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
The bleeding things stick to me like limpets lol
Abbott will have to replace if their manufacturing standards are down with the stickiness :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If it is happening to you regularly, is there any chance that you may have some residue on your skin that is reducing the stickiness of the sensor's adhesive?

Such as a body oil or skin moisturiser from the day before?

I am quite sure you follow the instructions, because you have said so, but some of these body oils are very... um... pervasive and long lasting. They may take an EXTRA scrub with a stronger cleaner (I am thinking something like washing up liquid, rather than a scented toilet soap, because soaps often have their own moisturising agents in it).

My own method with the sensors is to avoid body lotion on that area of skin for at least a couple of days, and then exfoliate (some of those have oils and moisturisers in them too) by using just a rough dry towel on wet skin. They stick like glue.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I use Skin Tac wipes when applying mine - the only time I’ve had one fall off is when I ran out and didn’t use one. Holds my MiaoMiao rock solid too.

laurakirkup

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Michelle,

I have had the libre for a while now and in the hot weather they seem to reduce in stickiness!

I know a lot of people cover them with rock tape or something similar but I personally like to use my libre as an accessory to my outfit so ten to put a sticker on that matches what I'm wearing!

Anyway, I have found that if mine is starting to come off I wipe around the edges with a skin tax wipe and then wrap a bandage around it during the night or for an hour or so during the morning and once I take it off it has re stuck the sensor to my skin, I saw a post in a Facebook group recently and have seen someone else does the same thing and it works for them as well!

Anyway hope this helps and hopefully you won't have any more falling off!

Laura X

Reactions: EllieM

Hattonma

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use a strip of kinesiology tape. That you can do almost anything without it falling off