Libre users do you use test strips aswell ?

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you all for help and info also order your libre scensors earlier as they are well at my chemist taking a lot longer to be delivered to chemsist thanks again stay safe
Hi, I was advised to try and always have one sensor in so I have a back up incase one fails or has an error etc. so I don't have to wait for replacements. There have been various delays in sensor distribution as the libre becomes more and more popular, so my pharmacy asks me to request my repeat script a week ahead of when I need it.

Re testing strips - one of the conditions some people have to keeping the libre is a reduction in the number of strips they use. This is if you got the libre as you were frequently testing (8+ times a day). If this is you the libre works out cheaper for the NHS so they put you on it to save money... If you then also test it makes the libre redundant.

Having said that, at my training in Nov I was told to do a finger prick capillary test if the libre scan shows I'm:
- below 4 or
- above 10 as the manual states the libre is less accurate out of the 4-10 range, so can't be used as the sole basis for eg correction insulin or to confirm hypo and appropriate treatment.
They also say to test if your symptoms don't match the libre scanning reading.

For this purpose, I also get 50 libre compatible test strips a month, but don't find I need them all. Like others have said, I do some finger prick capillary tests over the 2 week sensor wearing period to check its accuracy but have been quite lucky and found it very close when I'm in the 4-10 range, only logging a few 'false hypos'. My latest HbA1c blood test was only 1mmol different from the libre prediction so I am also quite confident trusting it so far.

Obviously if you're frequently out of the 4-10 range it could be the sensor is faulty, in which case ring Abbott and they will possibly ask for your readings and send a replacement sensor. They often ask for the faulty sensor back too.
If the sensor isn't faulty and your finger prick capillary tests back up the scanned reading, then this is something to discuss with your diabetes team to see how they can help you stay in range.
Sorry if this is obvious, I thought it might help others new to the libre too. Hope you're well!

Last edited:

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I was advised to try and always have one sensor in so I have a back up incase one fails or has an error etc. so I don't have to wait for replacements. There have been various delays in sensor distribution as the libre becomes more and more popular, so my pharmacy asks me to request my repeat script a week ahead of when I need it.

Re testing strips - one of the conditions some people have to keeping the libre is a reduction in the number of strips they use. This is if you got the libre as you were frequently testing (8+ times a day). If this is you the libre works out cheaper for the NHS so they put you on it to save money... If you then also test it makes the libre redundant.

Having said that, at my training in Nov I was told to do a finger prick capillary test if the libre scan shows I'm:
- below 4 or
- above 10 as the manual states the libre is less accurate out of the 4-10 range, so can't be used as the sole basis for eg correction insulin or to confirm hypo and appropriate treatment.
They also say to test if your symptoms don't match the libre scanning reading.

For this purpose, I also get 50 libre compatible test strips a month, but don't find I need them all. Like others have said, I do some finger prick capillary tests over the 2 week sensor wearing period to check its accuracy but have been quite lucky and found it very close when I'm in the 4-10 range, only logging a few 'false hypos'. My latest HbA1c was mmol was only 1mmol different from the libre prediction so I am also quite confident trusting it so far.

Obviously if you're frequently out of the 4-10 range it could be the sensor is faulty, in which case ring Abbott and they will possibly ask for your readings and send a replacement sensor. They often ask for the faulty sensor back too.
If the sensor isn't faulty and your finger prick capillary tests back up the scanned reading, then this is something to discuss with your diabetes team to see how they can help you stay in range.
Sorry if this is obvious, I thought it might help others new to the libre too. Hope you're well!

Hi there, I had my first hb1ac since being on the libre (3 months) and was dubious as to its accuracy. Pleased to say it matched the hb1ac perfectly.

Reactions: UK T1

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there, I had my first hb1ac since being on the libre (3 months) and was dubious as to its accuracy. Pleased to say it matched the hb1ac perfectly.
Yes, sorry I realised I put a typo in my post so have edited to clarify - my blood test was only 1mmol higher than the libre prediction so I was very pleased with the accuracy too! Glad it has worked well for you too. Been on it since Nov am loving every second so far!

Reactions: KK123