LibreLinkUp App

T1Dad

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Got an email from Abbott yesterday saying that a new LibreLinkUp App has been released on Android. This App allows the Android Phone that you scan the FreeStyle Libre with to then transmit the reading to any number of Android phones that are synched up.

This is great for me as a Parent :)

Just means I may have to get a cheap Andriod phone for my Daughter to carry around with her so not sure if we will be using it yet. Would be really useful for Parents of teens that already have an Android with Libre.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Would be really useful for Parents of teens that already have an Android with Libre.
I'm not sure that I, as a teen, would have been particularly happy with my parents checking up on me checking my BG levels constantly. I think it's something that needs to be discussed with them and they give their permission.

Binary

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
As a parent of a six year old I maybe having a chat with his school about using a mobile to scan his figures rather then his libre. Suspect it will not be easy to convince them even though it wouldn't be used for anything else.

A teen who is used to managing without parent input might resist but all the time parents are funding the libre I think it's fair to say they probably want to see some benefit in continuing to fund it and that generally means access to their figures regardless of the teen's opinion.

I guess a lot will depend on age of diagnosis and how much input parents have had in the past/present in managing their BG's.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
but all the time parents are funding the libre I think it's fair to say they probably want to see some benefit in continuing to fund it and that generally means access to their figures regardless of the teen's opinion.
Unfortunately, that tends to be the time that sensors fall off unexpectedly, and glucose meters get forgotten. It's during this period that the teen is becoming "themself" as a T1 and not "your kid" as the T1. I don't mean any harm in these comments, I'm just saying that it's worth being aware that a high level of parental scrutiny/oversight can result in additional rebellion that is allied with the "Why me?" feelings, and that ends up not being good for both parties.

Binary

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
I well aware the teen years are likely to be our most trying yet, thankfully a little way off. I have seen how erratic bloods can effect ones mood, add teenage hormones into the mix which is likely to make bloods even more unpredictable, I shudder to think.

It will be tough to go from total control after so many years to zero control but that is where we eventually heading. How easy that path will be, remains to be seen.

The libre is tough enough to remove after two weeks at present but where there's a will there's a way.

Patelm01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Got an email from Abbott yesterday saying that a new LibreLinkUp App has been released on Android. This App allows the Android Phone that you scan the FreeStyle Libre with to then transmit the reading to any number of Android phones that are synched up.

This is great for me as a Parent :)

Just means I may have to get a cheap Andriod phone for my Daughter to carry around with her so not sure if we will be using it yet. Would be really useful for Parents of teens that already have an Android with Libre.