Licence Reissued In 10 Days On First D Notification!

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
Having kept an eye on the various threads regarding the DVLA I was not especially optimistic of a quick turnaround to restart my UK licence. I had been abroad for 19 years and only back in UK since this past winter. Developed Type 1 diabetes 10 years ago while overseas. I was lucky enough to re-register with original GP, but have only seen the diabetes GP once and the diabetes nurse a couple of times, so the surgery has very few records for me. Also most annoyingly had my first ever assisted hypo earlier this year in the UK! So sent off the necessary forms, (very) old original licence and photo with limited expectation of having a reissued licence any time soon.

Pleasant surprise! DVLA received my paperwork on 7 August and reissued a new three year licence on 17 August. Of course they removed my original category C entitlement, but I'm not in the market for another 7.5 ton horsebox anytime soon. However off to start car hunting! :)

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
That was about the speed of the turn around for me a couple of months ago. I'm actually quite relieved to have my original category C entitlement removed as it relieved me of the pressure from Main Paid Work to drive minibuses. I'd been refusing to anyway, as I don't drive as regularly as I used to, but this helped a good deal when I was last asked if I would.

Lordy100

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not many things
As I suspect we might be a similar age you can apply to get your C and D categories put back on. However, you have to have a medical, support from your diabetic consultant and you have to test at least twice a day. There is no leeway, that I have been made aware of, for having the odd day off and if you don't show 3 months of continuous monitoring of BGs they won't issue / renew your licence. Be warned I had mine reinstated and then removed.