1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Licence renewal

Discussion in 'Driving and DVLA' started by MissNicS, Jul 23, 2020.

1. MissNicS

MissNicS · Member

Hi everyone,

Hope you’re well. Has anyone renewed their driving licence during lockdown? If so, how long did it take to arrive? I know there’s a back log at the DVLA but does anyone know if it’ll be longer than the usual 6 weeks?

Thanks!

2. urbanracer

urbanracer Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

If you are asking about a fairly standard 3yr restricted licence then you can do it on-line and it takes about 3 days.

See this discussion too.....

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/driving-licence-extension.175743/

• Like Like x 1
  3. Circuspony

Circuspony Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I've just renewed mine online and it was back within a week

• Like Like x 1
  4. MissNicS

MissNicS · Member

Thanks for your responses, I sent mine through post rather than online, so hopefully it’s not too much longer.

5. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

You may be disappointed, there is a big backlog in postal applications due to social distancing restricting the number of staff. Presumably online renewals are dealt with by staff working at home so are not affected.
    BBC News - Drivers furious after waiting months for licences
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53511030

6. MissNicS

MissNicS · Member

Ahh, not ideal but I suppose it can’t be helped. I’ll keep my fingers crossed I’m not waiting months on end.

7. conniecar

conniecar Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I had to do mine on paper as I’m also epileptic, and send back my old licence. I was waiting for the usual waste of time at the GP’s while they ask if you’ve ever been hypo or had a seizure. My licence appeared today after 2 weeks, and no medical?

• Like Like x 1
  8. MissNicS

MissNicS · Member

That’s really reassuring to hear! I’m glad you got it all sorted really quickly. Mine was sent over 3 weeks ago and I’m still waiting, which is fine because it usually takes about 6 weeks before I hear from them.

9. conniecar

conniecar Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It’s really odd! It just appeared in the post. 3 year licence again without any interrogation. Posted on 14 July.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook