Licence renewal

MissNicS

Hi everyone,

Hope you’re well. Has anyone renewed their driving licence during lockdown? If so, how long did it take to arrive? I know there’s a back log at the DVLA but does anyone know if it’ll be longer than the usual 6 weeks?

Thanks!

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi everyone,

Hope you’re well. Has anyone renewed their driving licence during lockdown? If so, how long did it take to arrive? I know there’s a back log at the DVLA but does anyone know if it’ll be longer than the usual 6 weeks?

Thanks!

If you are asking about a fairly standard 3yr restricted licence then you can do it on-line and it takes about 3 days.

See this discussion too.....

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/driving-licence-extension.175743/

Reactions: MissNicS

MissNicS

Thanks for your responses, I sent mine through post rather than online, so hopefully it’s not too much longer.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your responses, I sent mine through post rather than online, so hopefully it’s not too much longer.
You may be disappointed, there is a big backlog in postal applications due to social distancing restricting the number of staff. Presumably online renewals are dealt with by staff working at home so are not affected.
BBC News - Drivers furious after waiting months for licences
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53511030

MissNicS

Ahh, not ideal but I suppose it can’t be helped. I’ll keep my fingers crossed I’m not waiting months on end.

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had to do mine on paper as I’m also epileptic, and send back my old licence. I was waiting for the usual waste of time at the GP’s while they ask if you’ve ever been hypo or had a seizure. My licence appeared today after 2 weeks, and no medical?

Reactions: MissNicS

MissNicS

I had to do mine on paper as I’m also epileptic, and send back my old licence. I was waiting for the usual waste of time at the GP’s while they ask if you’ve ever been hypo or had a seizure. My licence appeared today after 2 weeks, and no medical?

That’s really reassuring to hear! I’m glad you got it all sorted really quickly. Mine was sent over 3 weeks ago and I’m still waiting, which is fine because it usually takes about 6 weeks before I hear from them.

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It’s really odd! It just appeared in the post. 3 year licence again without any interrogation. Posted on 14 July.