Lidl not doing Protein Rolls any more?

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
I'm naughty, I bulk buy as the queues are horrendous and I don't want to stand behind people with overflowing trolleys every week when all I've got is one bag of rolls. A monthly visit is not too bad. ;)

Reactions: 2 people

lely

Goodness I hope so just had one and I'm not completely sold on them. Maybe with some cold meat and a load of lettuce. Onions, peppers and mayo it will be better.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Persevere, they do grow on you.I like them toasted with pate or terrine. One makes a filling meal.

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
I don't think I could manage a whole one, but a half, toasted with pate as Prem51 says is good. I've also topped mine with egg mayo, or tinned salmon mashed up with mayo. I've even treated a half roll like welsh rarebit. I tend to have a side salad with mine. Makes a good LC lunch. :)

Reactions: 5 people

lely

I'm gonna make the hubby try them. He's into seeded breads anyway, so will probably like them more than me.

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Do give half a one toasted with whatever you fancy on the top a try. I'd be surprised if you didn't like them. They've been a godsend to me as bread is now off my menu.

Reactions: 3 people

comfort

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. Pardon my ignorance but what are protein rolls. Could you describe them to me please? I need something to make packed lunches easier.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi. Pardon my ignorance but what are protein rolls. Could you describe them to me please? I need something to make packed lunches easier.
They are sold by LIDL. There is a list of ingredients at post #29 above, and a photo at post #59. They only have 8.5g of carbohydrates per 100g. A roll is around 120g, so only about 10-11g of carbs per roll. They are dark brown in colour, and triangular shaped, so easy to spot in LIDL. They are usually 39p each, but on offer at 29p until 3 December (this Thursday).

Some people don't like them, but they are worth trying as they are a good low carb substitute for bread. One is quite filling, some find half is enough. I like them toasted with pate or terrine.

pam_x_pam

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There are pictures of them on previous pages

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
They are really nice part toasted with pizza sauce, a touch of garlic, herbs and mozzarella on then grilled.