Lidl rolls

meandmaboy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
HI, i am also a disgruntled ex-lidl's roll eater. i looked on the forum and saw a couple of alternatives suggested, one available at waitrose and one apparently at sainsbury's called something like hi-lo (can't remember exactly, and can no longer find the relevant post). as my local supermarket is a sainsbury's i went to look for it, but they'd never heard of it - however, i spotted a hovis seeded bread which is advertised as low carb (roughly 9g a slice). i have tried it once or twice and it seems to be fine - i had brunch this morning of avocado, a slice of this bread with smoked salmon, cucumber and lettuce, also a couple of pieces of cheese and some tomatoes, finished off with a quarter apple, some blueberries and some almonds with full fat yoghurt, and my post-meal level was 6.5, which i'm very happy with. and this bread is actually nicer than the lidl rolls, tastes like proper bread. i don't particularly want to eat lots of it, but it's really useful to be able to make myself a sandwich every now and then without sending my levels sky-high :) (cf. the lidl 'low gi' rolls - 9.5 after eating one of them!)

Hi,
Have tried both waitrose & sainsbugs hi-lo bread. I was using the 'liv life' (waitrose) but only liked it toasted. It was pot luck if they had it in store when i visited they stopped selling it over xmas to make room for xmas breads etc.
The sainsbug bread I like better, however our store which is big only gets 6 loaves in at a time,it does make a nice sandwich, have looked about for the 'polish' loaf but not come across it yet !
The waitrose bread can be bought online from 'livlife' directly, but postage works out expensive.

Key_master_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My main issue is the "a slice" rating.

The Lidl roll was about 9 grams of carbs per 100 grams and the roll weighed around 100 grams.
{checks roll from bread bin - 80 grams!}

This can make a very satisfying and filling sandwich.

A Hovis Lower Carb loaf at 9 grams per slice is 18 grams per sandwich.

Assuming it is this https://www.hovis.co.uk/our-range/Lower-Carb# then it is 27.2 grams carbohydrate per 100 grams.

Still around half of standard breads but quite carby. It may be within the tolerances of your body but it is still pushing the envelope a bit. Quick dodgy sum says that each slice weighs around 33 grams so you get more bulk for your buck with the Lidl rolls.

I think we need to keep on whingeing at Lidl to keep the pressure up.

Anyone who hasn't signed https://www.change.org/p/lidl-lidl-to-return-protein-rolls-to-their-bakery-department is encouraged to do so.
Can one of the moderators get a mass signing going by posting the link to the petion and boosting it in the forum somehow. I’ve shared this loads and still only got around 1400. There must be loads of others who eat these. Just a thought, power in numbers.

They did say it was a supply issue when I spoke to someone at Lidl on the phone and they would more than likely return in a few weeks. It’s been about 7 since I last saw them in my store.

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
By far my most favourite bread substitute is Ugg Food chia seed and nut bread packet mix. But it is HIDEOUSLY expensive!:arghh::wideyed: A very occasional treat as it is gorgeous with just butter or to use as soldiers for boiled eggs:hungry: Only 7.6g carbs per 100g
https://uggfoods.com/shop-all/