Light heartedly curious

coco44

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone just curious. I am 59 years old and was diagnosed as a Type 1 diabetic at age 55 years. I have known the vast majority of my friends for about 30 years plus. Lots of them are work colleagues as well. This means that we know one another very well and on a daily basis know what we eat and our likes and dislikes. Why is it that before diagnosis and since I have never liked chocolate that suddenly my friends think that I would enjoy diabetic chocolates? For birthday and Christmas I now receive these chocolates. I don't wish to sound ungrateful or judgemental, but it makes me smile when I unwrap them and I think you know I don't like or eat chocolate so why would I want to start eating diabetic chocolate just because I'm diabetic? Nothing serious I know, but as I say just curious and is there any logic? lol. Happy Christmas love Coco :p

Reactions: 4 people

kandiekane87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's because it's specifically advertised to diabetics and now you have it people automatically assume you must like it 'cause it's safe for you' it's all nonsense if you didn't like the 'good' stuff you won't like the sub-par substitute. Just continue to smile and be polite then either bin it after Christmas or give it to visitors but don't tell them it's diabetic chocolate and when they ask why it tastes different explain it's the diabetic stuff and your not too keen on it so your thinking of just giving it up then hopefully word of mouth will travel! Good luck and Merry Christmas!

Reactions: 2 people

coco44

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Great idea kandiekane87, thanks. Love the name by the way :)

kandiekane87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's been my online alias for *cough* 12 years goodness that makes me feel old! Your best to just be polite but secretly plot how you can use the so called 'gifts' To your advantage. Good luck!