1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2018 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Likelihood of GD going away after birth?

Discussion in 'Gestational Diabetes' started by Zaza83, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Zaza83

Zaza83 · Member

Hi,

To those who had GD; did it go away after birth? Does changing your diet help in getting the GD to go away after birth?

2. brassyblonde900

brassyblonde900 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

For some people it does for others it doesn't
    GD is one of the lagging indicators that there is a metabolic dysregulation already present in the body.
    GD is a risk factor for going on to have T2DM diagnosis at some point.
    It does not hurt to change ones diet to a way of eating that will mean lower blood sugars in any case

3. Yellredder

Yellredder Type 2 · Active Member

Hi, I had GD eight years ago and it went away after birth. I have a HBA1C annually and this year I've been diagnosed with T2D. However our family does have a genetic predisposition to getting it in our 50s (I'm 50 next year). Fingers crossed it disappears for you!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Wump2000

Wump2000 · Newbie

Hi, I had GD with my first child 5 years ago and it went away straight after birth. Sadly just been diagnosed again after early test on this pregnancy.

5. SimonCrox

SimonCrox · Well-Known Member

In the UK population in the past, at 10 years, about 50% of ladies with GDM had progressed to diabetes, but more recently in the USA Hispanic population, it was 70% at 7 years.
    So some of the risk relates to your underlying risk of diabetes, as stated above, eg family history and ethnicity.
    Wise to do the lifestyle to avoid DM such as keeping weight down and 30 mins exercise 5 days per week which are well validated in several diabetes prevention programs for people with Impaired Glucose Tolerance (one type of pre-diabetes).
    Best wishes

#5 SimonCrox, Jan 11, 2019 at 11:09 AM
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  6. Emma_369

Emma_369 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I had GD almost 6yrs ago now with my only pregnancy. Was diagnosed T2D 4 months ago, age 33 although I do also have family history of diabetes in 30’s

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook