Limiting Hypo treatment

Aknitty

Sometimes I have right problems with my hypos! Especially if its an early morning one.

I have a bag of jelly babies by my bed, and if my xDrip alarm is going off and I've double checked the reading is correct I'll have maybe 3 jelly babies. 45 minutes later and nothing has happened (sometimes the reading has even gone down) so I'l take 2-3 more, and still nothing. Another 45+ minutes later and I'll try another 2-3 and then BAM!! My glucose shoots up from 3 to 13 in no time at all and I struggle to get it under control for the rest of the day.

I know you're supposed to wait and give the sugar a chance to get working, but nearly 2 hours of being in a hypo state has to be enough time to wait surely?!? This frustrates me no end!
So disciplined. I only wait about ten minutes and pretty much scoff the whole bag in a blind panic. You have amazing self control!

Aknitty

I probably should pay more attention to what happened to my BG after a hypo but I've always done the same. I hd it explained to me to take a fast acting sugar, like jelly babies, then after that a slower release one.Because of that I've always done the same. 3 or 4 jelly babies, then a slice of toast and jam. Sometimes though I do stuff my face because some hypo's are worse than others, even at the same number, and I just get the urge to eat and eat. Then after it when my blood goes back up I'm like '**** i shouldnt have eaten so much ****' haha

Maybe on my next few hypo's I'll try actually measure what a specific amount of grams of carbs does to me. I've moved on from jelly babies to glucotabs recently so I'll maybe have 4 or 5 of those and that's it next hypo and see what happens. Generally I'd always have a slice of toast afterwards but I'll try skip that and see what happens next hypo.
This is pretty much exactly what I say everyday! I was told fast and slow acting too but also wish I could be more precise about treatment as I am about insulin doses.

Aknitty

Once I go low usually below 4 I will test evry 10 mins or so until I can see it going up. Generally I find though that after first 10 mins it will go down even more, thats when panic mode kicks in. If I am at home its OK but if I am at work or outside, I can go into full panic mode and have more carbs. I will deal with the high later. In my eyes best to have a slightly high BG than get carted off in ambulance
You are totally right and I absolutely agree. The difficulty is that high BG is so dangerous in pregnancy and that's my problem as I generally approach it the same way you do but can't now

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I haven't had a hypo in quite a while but I used to suffer them frequently. I'm type 1. I used to measure my BG about every 2 hours, even at night. I drink at least a litre of water during the night to ensure I wake up. I pay attention to how I feel and now I know when I am heading too low. Then I eat some fruit and in about 15 minutes feel normal. If I am out I always have a small container of white sugar with me and a piece of fruit (a mandarine/orange, some apple or half a banana). If I feel I am going low fast, I put a small amount of sugar on my tongue and consume that. Then I eat the fruit. If I am going to be out for several hours I also take cheese with me and eat that after the fruit. To avoid hypos I have fruit before I go out and normally during the day, a small amount after breakfast, some in the mid-afternoon, some before bed and every time I wake at night (2 to 3 times thanks to all the water). It's best to avoid hypos and then you avoid the consequent high. Hope this helps.