Dislikes
Low fat and carbs
IMG_20170317_220117.jpg

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think this is common knowledge, and nothing new. Even the leaflet in the packets warns about possibility of raised glucose levels. I imagine the danger is worse for the elderly because the older we get the higher our glucose levels become naturally.

Reactions: Liam1955

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, it's nothing new, well known possibility. Beta blockers carry similar risk.

Reactions: Liam1955

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
A few random snippets from the article (Daily Mail version) ..

# The team found over-75s face a 33% higher chance of getting diabetes if they are taking statins. But the risk rose to more than 50% per cent for those on higher doses.
# Almost 50% per cent of women in their late seventies and eighties in the study took statins, and 5% per cent were diagnosed with new onset diabetes.
# The study follows research last year which showed people with naturally higher levels of cholesterol, paradoxically, are less likely to suffer diabetes

So, go figure - but..

# Government drug regulator MHRA says the benefits outweigh the risk of side effects in the 'majority of patients'

Well, that's alright then ...

Reactions: bulkbiker

alioli58

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Read Health Impact News re STATINS causing Alzheimer's disease too as brain is made up of 25% cholesterol and how many other diseases are also caused by STATINS by affecting the brains cholesterol levels?
I stopped my 40mg daily dose of Atorvastatin about a week ago & my brain fog has cleared & I now sleep through much better.
I will not be taking any again.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My glucose levels came down and have mainly stayed at this lower level since I stopped taking my long term statins. I do wonder now whether they were in part cause of me ending up with diabetes.

Robbity

Reactions: Bluetit1802