Katiemccrann

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi there.

I’ve had type 1 for over 21 years now, and changed from MDI to pump 3 years ago.

One of the reasons I changed over to the pump is because I suffer terribly from lipohypertrophy in various places - in particular on my arms and stomach.

I was told time and time again that the lumps would go down once I stopped injecting into those sites. I haven’t injected into my arms for well over three years now - yet the lipohypertrophy is still there.
I exercise regularly, eat well and have tried various things (massage, weightlifting, cardio, pressure cuffs) to try and alleviate the lumps, but to no avail. I’ve given in to living in long sleeves and baggy jumpers despite an otherwise small frame.

I’m getting married next year and at the moment I feel like I will have to wear a dress with sleeves to keep my arms covered up. I’m getting married abroad and in an ideal world I wouldn’t have to wear a dress with sleeves.

Has anyone had any other form of treatment to help get rid of the lipohypertrophy? I’ve recently been to see a practitioner who suggested that I should try a course of lymphatic drainage, followed by laser lipo, followed by cold cavitation therapy, followed by HIFU and finally acoustic wave collagen production treatment. I’m willing to give it a try - but at a cost of almost £700 and no guarantee that it will work - I was hoping that someone else out there has had some sort of success with treating this issue.

Thanks in advance for your help!